Chickens from egg lay plant into our home - advice please!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bcmtngrl, Oct 20, 2013.

1. bcmtngrl

bcmtngrl New Egg

Oct 14, 2013
    Chilliwack, BC, Canada
    Hi everyone, in May of this year we bought 10 - one day old chicks from a local farm. They were "Olive eggers". I gave two to a friend a few weeks back because her hen had lost her buddy. Then 4 "chicks" turned out to be roosters, so we took them to the farm auction the other day and sold them to new homes - in total 6 because 2 more "hens" began to crow as we were packing up the roosters ;). But that left us with only two hens. My kids were sad. So I looked up on our local want ads and saw a farm selling 19 week old Lohmann Browns. I read up and saw that they make good pet chickens and are normally sociable etc. We drove to the farm and when we got there he brought us into a large production facility and said the hens are in a room - he opened the door to about 1000 hens sitting on concrete in the dark. I could only afford to buy 6 at his price.We brought them home and put them in the coop/run - as my other hens were out free ranging. They seem to be shell shocked, wont touch "treats" do not know what to do on grass or in the coop. I have left the door open today to see if they would wander out - but they wont. Is this normal, do you think its because they were raised in a room? Does anyone have experience with this? Any tips on socializong them would be greatly appreciated. Am I expecting too much too soon? Our other hens are totally socialized with us, company our cats etc. But they are scared to death of these chickens, I had to put them in their nest boxes last night after dark - they were perched on their coop fence.Thanks all!!

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Wow! I think you were brave buying these hens. They have likely been keep just like that for all of their short lives. It's probably going to be quite an ordeal getting them acclimated to their brave new world - it must be quite terrifying for them. I have never had to socialize chickens before, but I would guess at speak softly, lots of tlc - all at a slow pace. Your kids need to know to be slow & quiet around them initially. Hopefully, your seasoned chicks will give them a little help along the socialization path. Perhaps' someone here can help you too, good luck to you - keep us posted, Sue

3. bcmtngrl

bcmtngrl New Egg

Oct 14, 2013
    Chilliwack, BC, Canada
    Thank you Sue for your words! My girls know they have to treat these hens a little differently for now and they are giving them the space and quiet they need. My two hens come with me to the house in the am and sit on my porch under a bush all day now - Im assuming waiting on their roosters to come back! ;( So unfortunately they are not helping the other hens learn skills - maybe in a few days? The good news is - I sat outside by the coop for the last hour and 4 out of 6 of the newbies ventured out of the big coop door and out on the lawn about 10 feet pecking and scratching. They quickly went back in when the wind blew, but I see it as progress lol!!! :)

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Just give them time. Weeks, even months it may take for them to be comfortable with you and free ranging. Lots of time.

5. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Progress! Slow but sure, Sue

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by