Chickens from USA to Russia

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Bossroo, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Bossroo

Bossroo Songster

Jun 15, 2008
    At a joint news conference Obama stated that USA is finalizing a deal with Russia to sell processed chicken to Russia. Watch prcies to rise for chicks, processed chicken, and feed. Supply and demand !

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Sucky for us .... But i guess good for the economy...

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:That's odd. There was a thread on here awhile back discussing Russia's desire to be self-sustained in the chicken market. I'm surprised any country would want to buy chicken from us with the practices in place here. Those practices are the reason I raise my own.

Here's the link to the thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=286995

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  4. petrelline

petrelline Songster

Feb 13, 2009
    Los Gatos, CA
    Russia does want to be self-sustaining, but they're not there yet. They still import 25% of their chicken from us. And we rely on those Russian exports to keep chicken prices super low for us, especially for white meat (we export the leg quarters). Which is why when Russia agitates once in a while for fewer antibiotics and less chlorine in the processing, we tend to roll over and make trade deals. It's good for the overall quality of commercial chicken in the US, but its kind of sad that it takes a trade war to get there.

The Russian exports themselves probably will not affect the price of chicks, chickens, or feed for us backyard meat chicken raisers. When Russia banned exports in January I didn't see prices go down at all. Whether the change in the processing laws will affect the prices of supermarket chickens is yet to be seen, because if the Tysons and Perdues can't dunk all their chickens in huge vats of chlorine during processing they're going to have to find some other way to control salmonella and campy which as we all know are huge problems for those operations.

Maybe the price of the 49 cent walmart chicken will go up. Do we care? We raise our own. We opt out of the big chicken machine altogether.

5. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:Amen Brother/Sister!

6. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Maybe we could get a group of BYC Meat Bird section and go over to Russia and show them how it's done. I think it would be great if Nifty would foot the bill to get everybody over there and back. We could claim it is to increase the awareness of Backyard chickens raising.

7. JasonG

JasonG Hatching

Mar 17, 2010
    Anne Arundel County
    This will have next to no impact on feed or chicken prices. Russia is simply importing again after halting imports because of Avian Influenza concerns. Exporters like Allen, Perdue, Mountainaire, Simmons, Tysons, etc., will simply be increasing turn around at grow-out farms and farms with empty houses "might" see them used again. Since these companies are all vertically integrated, the price of feed, chicks, etc., will have zero impact on anyone outside the broiler industry.

Also, unlike the U.S. market, there is a premium paid for dark meat in the Russian market. So, the U.S. will keep getting white meat and processors will once again have another market for the "less desirable" dark meat.

Jason

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010

8. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Songster

Dec 28, 2009
    This should not make a difference in price or anything else...I hope it will increase awareness of the public of the unsanitary conditions in those slaughtering houses and the ones that raise the chickens as well to make them be more civil to those poor birds. I don't feel like because they are going to be killed that they should be kept in that environment. There was a thread on here a while back and it was closed down, but I got to see it first..and those conditions are Horrible! I am now also raising my own to slaughter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by