1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens gave me the best birthday gift...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickengirlnm, Nov 12, 2007.

1. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    Well yesterday was my birthday and I was feeling kinda bummed.. all my family either is 4 hours away or in GA.
    My DH has never been good with my birthday - it is normally just another day-comes and goes and this year it seemed like the same thing so I was feeling alittle low. I read bantymums post about how her chickens made her feel better the other day, so I thought what the heck I grabbed a loaf of bread and went out to see what they were all doing.
    Well I have been trying for weeks to get them to eat anything from my hand, so I held some bread not really expecting them to take it and a few of them grabbed the bread right out of my hand ! even my little banty roo came up for a bite, to most people this would not be that big a deal but to me it was awesome. Some would grab the bread and run off with it others would get it and kinda hang around for more - no buddy missed and got my finger thank goodness !
    I hung out in the run for awhile with them all around me until they realized the treat lady ran out of food LOL
    anyway just thought I would share my best birthday gift this year came from my chickens !!

Julie

2. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Happy late B day to you. That is cool that your birds came up to you. That is how I tamed mine. Now, they come and get on my lap for a treat. One even falls asleep on my lap like a dog and she lets me pet her.

3. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    chickengirl, first off Happy Birthday to you. Chickens are amazing aren't they. That was sweet, glad they helped to make your day special.

4. joanc

joanc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2007
    Shafer, MN
    Happy belated birthday! Maybe the chickens thought it was their birthdays--lol. We spoil them and they can spoil us right back. I love it![​IMG]

5. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Happy birthday!!!

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Happy Birthday!!! My next one is a big even number and i hope it gets NO ATTENTION at all. I do not want to turn 40, so i hope it is a day like any other.

7. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Happy Birthday

8. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Happy B-day - your chickens were saying 'Happy B-day, mom' and 'THANK YOU for taking such good care of us'

Ain't they fun??

9. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Quote:HAPPY BIRTHDAY JULIE!!!

I see your chickens got my e-mail! LOL!

You know, I hear pets/animals are psychic. They read more than others do. I think they sensed your birthday and being bummed out about it and they just had to do something about that. It's their maternal instinct.

Trust me this was NO accident.

Thanks for sharing!!!

Pedro

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  10. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by