Chickens getting fatter but eating very little crumble?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by karlamaria, Jul 16, 2011.

1. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I have posted pictures of my girls, there very healthy and getting big but how? They free range 80% of the day and eat grass, bugs ( we do not have many bugs) and I give them treats like fruit and watermellon and some days spagetti or what we eat that night .but I noticed the feeder just does not go down much. I put a 5 pound bag in it 2 weeks ago and it's still half
    Of full , are they getting all there needs from the free ranging? There getting fatter, and they very healthy. What's your thoughts??

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I don't know if this holds true for most other chickens, but my chickens won't eat their food if it has been in their feeder for more than a few days. I think it goes stale. So I only put out what they are going to eat in one day. So yours may not want to eat the food if it tastes off.

Also, as they get older they will need less chicken feed as most of the heavy growth is done. But they still need to eat their feed.

If they are free ranging and getting lots of treats, they are obviously finding enough to eat with out eating from the feeder. This is ok for a short period of time, but I would try to get them to eat some of their food a few times a day. Mine are the same way, eating all sorts of things while ranging around, however they will still pig out a few times a day at the feeder. [​IMG]

3. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    Mine arent eating their crumble either. I have hanging feed troughs in their house. They hang on the side of the wall. All they do is scratch it out on the ground. One is Layena Crumble, the other is the Organic mess that had bugs and is mostly all brown powder with a few oats and popped corn in it ( Total waste of money)

However, they free range all day in my back yard and I feed them out in the yard on two huge white cutting boards. I mix up the soy free pellets (that they wont eat unless doctored up) with cold kefir and a little scratch and organic wheat and Ultra Kibble (they dont like the Ultra Kibble either, its supposed to be soy free and the third ingredient is soy)
    So maybe they just dont like eating in the hen house. \\

And maybe it IS that they want it mixed up fresh every day, and they know the crumble has been in there for weeks! They used to eat it. And maybe they do eat more in the winter, I'll have to take note of that this winter.

A bag of crumble lasts me for months!

pam in TX

4. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I only refill my feeder twice per week and they do nto mind. I think it all of the extar food they are getting - the leftovers and foraging for food - they can get quite a bit fo food on their own if they get some good bugs and easy to eat leaves. Mine eat everything other than chicken feed first so they are probably filling up on that.

5. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I found out why there not eating the crumble, they do not eat when there in there coop and there not in there coop until bed time. Though I thought they went in to eat off and on I have bee watching them and found they did not. I put some crumble in a dish on the lawn and they went to town. We give them fresh fruits, veggie and scraps during the day so we thought they were to full to eat the crumble so we did not worry about it. But from here on out the crumble will be on the lawn right along with there grit and there water. We have always had grit and water out, but now the crumble will go there to. We free range the girls from 7:00 am until 9:30 pm so they are never in there run unless we have to go some where and will be gone more then an hour.

6. Gullygarden

Gullygarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    That is useful about the location making a difference!
    I am in a humid climate and I change the feed out every other day and sometimes daily. Yesterday it had a slug in it. yecch. They used to eat those but we have so many they have lost interest.

7. brownysfp

brownysfp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Correze, France
    Ours get a couple of handfuls of crushed corn and mixed grains when they're let out of the coop. The two small feeders in the coop are filled in the evening as an encouragement to go to bed. The rest of the day they free range. All of them seem to be roundabout their correct weight and size with the exception of one Coucou de France which is a monster. A solid, muscular, thuggish hen, she's not called Miss Piggy for no reason.

8. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I have taken the advice of many here and not given corn or other grains because of heat, we do fruit and veggies but im thrilled to know my crumble is not to there dislike, but that the location was the problem. There eating it like mad along with the grass bugs and scraps. My birds are rounded, but the o eating of the crumble worried me, there just to lazy to go into the run or coop lol silly girls!

9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If they are fat, they are getting enough to eat.

10. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I'm not sure what a fat chicken is lol. Mine are very healthy and look real nice, but I think the feathers make them look fluffy, there buff orphingtons

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by