Chickens give Afghan widows income source

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wifezilla, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    "In Afghanistan, losing your husband can mean destitution for women.

Many are abandoned by their families. Unable to work, they depend on support programmes like this one run by the aid agency Care.

Hanifa lost her husband four years ago in a rocket attack.

"I'm totally alone. I have no support and I have six children, with no one to help me. All I have is this ration card from Care. Sometimes I feel like killing myself."

But Care is trying to find ways for these widows to earn an income - with chickens.

They are each given a brood of 30 chicks, poultry feed and advice. Zermina is now making about $30 a month from selling the eggs from her grown hens. "
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3721932.stm

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Cool story

3. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  4. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    [​IMG]

5. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I'll PM the boss and see what he says.

I know I could use some good karma...LOL

6. tunaoftheland

tunaoftheland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    wow, that's a great thing that they're doing. With all the horrible stuff out there it's nice to see people really helping out other people with things that make a lasting difference. A flock of chickens can help these women for a long time!

7. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Hi everyone. Just a quick reminder that we don't allow any types of charity / donation discussions on BYC.

There are two main reasons:

1) Fraud - There have been multiple times where members have been burned when trying to "do the right thing". We aren't saying this is one of those times, but our first obligation is to protect our members. Unfortunately this comes with a price and we've weighed the pros and cons of the decision.

2) Consistent Rule Enforcement / Setting A Precedent - We realized early that when we allowed one person (or group on behalf of a person or organization) to promote or receive charitable gifts / donations it opens up potential floodgates for other members to request the same. We'd end up with a ton of charity posts and then emails saying "Well, you let xxxx member ask / receive money for their problems / cause... why can't we!?".

Again, it hasn't been an easy decision but we're obligated to do what is best for the community as a whole even if it has the unfortunate look like we are blocking help to a person or organization that really is having a hard time like or needs help. Hopefully this doesn't come across mean, but shows how much we know and care about the BYC community.

While we can't allow public donation requests / organizing, we won't prohibit members from privately discussing and helping... as long as it doesn't become spamming.

Thank you all for being engaged and caring members of our community. If you have any questions or need clarification on any of the above, just ask.

8. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Makes sense Nifty. It is a shame the bad behavior of others have made doing things like this difficult.

I encourage everyone to go to the CARE site and make a private donation.
    http://www.careinternational.org.uk/110 … istan.html

If anyone needs a chicken in their yard, it is these widows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by