Chickens go home by themselves - is that normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by robleland, Oct 17, 2011.

1. robleland

robleland New Egg

Oct 17, 2011
    We have a relatively small chicken cage, and so we let them out in the morning, and they walk around all day and, basically, kill all of our flowers. Oh well.
    When dusk hits, the chickens walk back to their cage and fly up 2 1/2 feet into the coop by themselves. Naturally we are thrilled as usually they are underneath our deck or someplace difficult to corral them most of the day. Is that normal? Should they be on America's funniest videos??

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Normal chicken behavior. Do you lock the in their coop at night? That is when they are very vulnerable to predation. Once attacked in their coop, they will try to roost any place else.

3. tsiecz

tsiecz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Pendleton,NY
    Very normal. Very amazing that once the sun hits the horizon,the parade starts back to the coop. Make sure the coop is secured everynight and locked up. Its there safe place and up to us to keep it that way.

4. smkchick

smkchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    Lawnguyland
    I wish.

My chicken tries to roost in the tree every night. Even after a 3-day lockdown. Now she's back in the coop for Day2 of her second incarceration.

*sigh*
    [​IMG]

5. robleland

robleland New Egg

Oct 17, 2011
    Don't remember if I replied to your question - do we secure the chickens once they go home? Yes - lots of bolt locks. So far, so good.

While i'm at it, quick question on food - we fill their food bowls whenever they are empty. Are we overfeeding them??
    thanks

6. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Chickens do not over-eat. Feed them as much as they will eat, and they'll keep giving you lots of eggs. It takes a lot of energy and nutrition to make all those eggs!!! [​IMG]

7. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Best part about having chickens! They are better about going to bed on time than my kids. Maybe I'll give the chickens their room and the kids can sleep in the coop. [​IMG]

8. robleland

robleland New Egg

Oct 17, 2011
    re: going to bed on time... no kidding. And they wake up on time! And no fussing about clothing and the arguing amongst siblings.
    (who knows, do chickens argue? maybe)...

9. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    They fight over the favorite nest box- just like the kids and the favorite recliner. Hmmm..... drag that out to the coop too....

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  10. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    lol my chickens are definetly better at going to bed then my two yr old lol. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by