1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens going off there crumble?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickies49, Dec 26, 2016.

1. chickies49

chickies49 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2016
    Australia
    I have noticed that after I have started letting my chickens free range they have been not as interested in their food. I think it is because they are now eating other treats and plants so they are getting more full. But could it be that they don't like the taste of there food anymore because it is to dull? I am currently feeding them pullet grower ,when should I switch to a different mix and what kind/

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I think you've hit the nail on the head. They are finding goodies on their range. I don't think it's that they've lost interest in their usual feed - they may just be getting a lot of extra stuff out and about. I would not change up their daily ration. It is formulated to have what they need and they will eat it when hungry. They will come back to it. Best wishes.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    During spring/summer, my free ranging birds eat half what they do late fall/winter.
    You're experiencing that now that you weather is getting hot.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Double/triple posts happening a lot today.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by