Chickens going on a field trip

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Chickenaddict, May 8, 2009.

1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have this pair of seramas that were hatched here about 6 months ago. Peanut is the rooster and smudge is the hen. Both are seramas so they are SUPER tame and sweeter than sugar. For easter i brought them to the family gathering so the kids could play with them (which the chickens loved btw)

My cousin called the other day and asked about me bringing the chickens to her sons school for a show and tell kind of thing. The class is hatching eggs in an incubator for a project and the teacher thought it would be cool for the kids to see a grown up chicken. My cousin fell in love with peanut and smudge and requested that i bring them to show the class and let them handle the chickens.

Next friday at 1:30 pm is their big day. There are only 13 kids in the class and all are 1st graders. I will be stressing the fact that they need to wash their hands thoroughly before and after they handle the chickens. I am sooo excited for peanut and smudges big adventure and thought i would share with all of you [​IMG]
    Peanut
    [​IMG]
    Smudge
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    COOL! Chicken road trip. They are very attractive chickens, love the hen's looks. They will be a big hit.

3. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Thanks [​IMG] I can see the kids asking when i can come back already [​IMG]

4. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Cool roo! I took my Telula to the school, she is smaller than the 2 week old turkeys! Shes a sweetie and they all loved her! Your pair is going to be a hit!!

5. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    You're gonna be by far THE coolest parent there! [​IMG] Those chooks are beautiful, and it's so important to give kids hands-on experience with animals of all kinds so the next generation will love and respect them, too! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

U rock! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  6. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Thanks guys [​IMG] Im sooo excited about it, Who knows maybe this could go farther and i start making pit stops at all the schools. They are my best birds as far as tame goes so they should handle it pretty well [​IMG]

7. mrkpero

mrkpero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Chicken Run!!
    Have fun! I gave a talk for second graders last week about my job (zookeeper) and I think I had more fun than the kids! Geez, the things they come up with! Reminded me of the Seinfeld episode about career day!

8. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Quote:Awww i bet telula is just adorable [​IMG] Smudge is too even tho the pic doesn't show she fits in the palm of my hand. I'm guessing she is either a micro or a very small A. She is by far my favorite serama [​IMG]

LOL mrkpero I guess i better prepare for the quiz the kids will probably give me [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  9. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Well here is an update... Today was the big day and the chickens were a huge sucess with not only the kids but the teachers fell in love too as did the priest (catholic school) They had some chicks that hatched in the classroom BR and BB one of the chicks had a bad case of spraddle legs(sp) So being the nurturer that i am i stuffed the chick in my shirt and raced home to get it on the brooder with my 3 week olds. i have a bandaid brace on his legs right now but it doesn't seem to be doing any good. I have to hand feed and water him because he refuses on his own. I will be taking him back as soon as he can walk again if he makes it. The teachers would have left them in the classroom all weekend without giving fresh food and water so i begged them to come back at least once a day and feed and water them, they agreed!
    They still had eggs in their incubator which were on day 25 and the temp was 110 so im positive they are all gone [​IMG] Another teacher raced up to see the ones i brought in and asked me to come and look at one of her eggs that was having trouble hatching. I extracted the chick from the egg because it truely was stuck, the membrane was dried on and it was being shrink wrapped. I don't think that one will make it so i passed on bringing it home and just took the one with leg issues. Wish me luck this little one pulls thru, he sure is cute. uffdah! what a day!!

10. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Next week my daughters 1st grade class and Kindergarten are coming to my house for a little field trip. It's fun sharing. Pretty birds BTW. I want some Seramas bad!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by