1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens gorged themselves on worms today

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JennsPeeps, Apr 4, 2009.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Today I turned the dirt in my veggie garden. All winter I've been throwing the coop litter there and let me tell you, that's some great dirt by now. The dirt is filled with worms.

Or rather, it was. My RIR & BSL gorged themselves on the worms. They ate so many worms that they went into food comas and couldn't eat any more. And let me tell you, it's rarer than a snowball in heck when a chicken can't eat another bite!

[​IMG]

2. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    My son has a new hobby as I work in the veggie garden:

dig for worms
    feed to meat birds
    laugh
    repeat.

3. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Ah, spring.

Nice weather today for getting the garden plot ready.

4. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    WELL , then this creates a question ..... far back of my property , I just been dumping chicken poop/ litter in a large pile . what are my chances of a worm farm too ?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  5. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Cajunlizz, it depends! I've been dumping the litter & kitchen scraps on my garden area since fall. Both my coop & my plot are small. The chickens have been digging it in for me all winter. I turned over the soil - about 6-8" - and it was chock full of worms.

The only way to know if you've got a nice little worm farm is to grab a shovel & go check it out.

I can really tell the difference between where I dumped the litter & where I didn't. The non-litter area had far fewer worms and was much sandier in appearance. I'm going to amelioriate it with some dirt from the chicken run, which I turned today and am still gagging over the smell....

6. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:What probably helped matters really incorporate , #1. chickens digging it in , #2 . you tilling the ground over , # 3. Adding kitchen scraps ..... I really dont know if just dumping litter on ground and not adding chicken craps ETC. would do much of anything . Worms need to eat also LOL

7. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:But it sounds like you DID add chicken craps! LOL Worms love that...

8. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    My chickens follow behind he when I till the garden to pick up worms that get kicked up. It's funny to see one get a worm and the others chase it. [​IMG]

9. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    DBF was laughing at how quickly the chickens see the worms. Those suckers never had a chance.

10. ken facemire

ken facemire Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Manchester
    All of my 14, 8 week old chicks also gourged themselves on worms today when we were tearing the tire out of the ground. They LOVED IT!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by