Chickens got a rat!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SC_Hugh, Jan 16, 2010.

1. SC_Hugh

SC_Hugh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I was cleaning out the chicken run today and saw something that looked like a tree root sticking up and it turned out to be the rat's tail [​IMG] I thought about grabbing it with my hand and I am glad that I did not. I dug it up with my rake and it was a rat that was picked clean. Tail, fur and skin was all that was left [​IMG]

My crazy chickens killed, ate and buried it under the leaves and dirt before anyone noticed...yuck!

--Hugh

2. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    good work ladies

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    That would be great if you could sell rat killing chickens!

4. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    that is awesome!! Give those girls some love!

5. kota1369

kota1369 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I would like to borrow one of them......... I have a squirrel that keeps going into my run and the chickens go hide in a corner. I have to let my cocker spaniel out to chase the squirrel out of my chickens run. At least the chickens appreciate it. I have to say, I am shocked they don't do anything, because they have NO problem chasing my dogs off their food.

The lady with 4 dogs and 4 city chickens

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  6. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    Love it. Chickens are awesome [​IMG]

7. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Didn't you notice that maybe one day your girls were a little quieter than usual? They were plotting, eating and hiding. Good work but YUCK!

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Good girls! I saw 5 of mine one day chase down and kill a mouse. They are actually pretty efficient at it, I was impressed. Felt sorry for the mouse but he should not have ran through their run.

9. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Soon after I got 4 bags of Corn for my birthday I found that mice had gotten into the corn and then a mouse came out and I was so mad that I picked that mouse up by the tail and held it up and was glaring at it. I told it that the corn was mine not yours. Then I threw it into the coop and within 5 minutes my girls ate it. Then I realized what I did. -shudders- I totally grossed out then and washed my hands soon after I got back to the house.

10. kota1369

kota1369 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Quote:4 Love of Baby Chickens

Thank you very much for the good laugh this morning. I am die'n over here...............................
    Good chickens

The lady with 4 dogs and 4 city chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by