Chickens got dehydrated now they stopped laying Help!

ScottElvidge

Hatching
Jul 9, 2021
We went on a 4 day weekend trip, pour automatic chicken water got clogged up, we lost 3 girls to dehydration and my other 10 have come back from it unscathed,only thing they stopped laying, this happened about 3 weeks ago, I started getting 1 egg per day, 10 layers, will they be ok and lay again?

this happened about 3 weeks ago, I started getting 1 egg per day, 10 layers, will they be ok and lay again?
Since it's been three weeks, if they look mostly OK, they will probably start laying again eventually-- but it might take a while. If the dehydration triggered a molt, it could take up to a few months. (If they have lost a bunch of feathers and are growing new ones, that would be likely.) But since one is laying, the others might be close behind. The only way to really know is to just keep waiting.

They won't need anything special-- just keep providing proper living conditions, food & water, and wait it out.

We went on a 4 day weekend trip, pour automatic chicken water got clogged up, we lost 3 girls to dehydration and my other 10 have come back from it unscathed,only thing they stopped laying, this happened about 3 weeks ago, I started getting 1 egg per day, 10 layers, will they be ok and lay again?
So glad to see this posting on dehydrated chickens. Same thing happened here while on vacation for four days - the automatic drip developed a leak and the reservoir went dry. Six hens and it's been a week since and have found only two eggs. Now they have two water sources all the time just incase one goes dry. Thankfully, all chickens appear healthy and are eating heartily.

Sorry for your loss. I never trust having just one water source. Just a large tub of water in case a waterer gets turned over or what happened to yours, can be a life saver. Some chickens may go into a molt when they go without water, and they would also stop laying. Hopefully, your chickens will recover fully from this.

Back
Top Bottom