Chickens got into pesticide from neighbor!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicknurse, Jun 27, 2010.

1. chicknurse

chicknurse New Egg

Oct 7, 2008
    Help!! I have one bird left and what do I do to help this poor girl who got into pesticide. The neighbor sprayed the fence line and I figured it out after I lost 3 other ones. Can I give them milk if they would drink it? I don't know what the stuff is but it killed the others pretty quick. I don't know what to do? Also, is there anyway I can put something out that will keep them away from the fence line? I don't know what to do. I don't want to lose my last chicken.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    What is the pesticide?

3. chicknurse

chicknurse New Egg

Oct 7, 2008
    I don't know .. I am guessing a weed killer since it leached through and killed all my wild raspberries. The neighbor is not helpful with this, so this a shot in the dark for sure.

4. chicknurse

chicknurse New Egg

Oct 7, 2008
    She acts like she is dehydrated to me and when I say that ... she isn't. She can't walk, her head( she can't hold it up on her own or it just hangs or bobs around). She will drink water for me but I am scared she is gonna die.

5. NattyK

NattyK Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2008
    Dear Chicknurse,
    I am guessing he blended an herbicide and a pesticide together. Herbicides as a rule don't kill things that don't contain chlorophyll. If they ingested a pesticide it ususally works on the nervous system. I would google pesticides and do some research if the neighbor isn't being helpful, I would certainly send him the bill for your chickens you lost. You may also consider contacting your local/county authorities about this. If you have children and he sprayed pesticide strong enough to kill a chicken, I would have a problem with that!! Especially near something like raspberries that you might eat! I am sorry I don't know what to tell you about your remaining chicken. If she has nerve damage I am not sure how to help her. Maybe someone else will have an idea. Poor girl!

6. bombj

bombj New Egg

Aug 22, 2016
    I have something similar. my neighbor unknowingly used weed and feed on his lawn. two of my chickens were over there periodically for a couple of days. all the chickens seemed fine. Not even sure which two it was . I'm wondering now how long I have to wait before I eat the eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by