Chickens got Soaked !!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kmacinnis, Feb 16, 2016.

1. kmacinnis

kmacinnis Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2015
    New Ipswich NH
    Hey everyone
    Up in New England we had some real crazy wind and heavy rain today. As I went out to change the water in the evening as I always do I noticed my girls were outside the coop and completely soaked. I think the wind opened the run door but also must have shut after they got out . It's currently 40 degrees and dropping slightly tonight. Should we be concerned? Or will they just fluff up and dry out on their own?

2. animalwild

animalwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    I have five hens that whenever it rains they always stay outside and won't move so they get soaked. This is normally in the summer but it still can get cooler at night. They always were fine so I wouldn't worry to much.

1 person likes this.
  3. huntingirl

huntingirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    You should keep a close eye on them. Try to dry them off with a hair dryer. It's not good for a chicken to be cold and wet. It can paralyze them or they can get frostbite. Keep to them warm and be careful.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  4. Gomara1

Gomara1 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2015
    My girls always get wet when it rains. They seem to like it! They will probably be fine, if you are concerned turn on a heat lamp for them and they should heat up and dry off fast enough.

5. crapwagon

crapwagon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2015
    Fremont IN
    My Coop
    agreed. This is what I would do.

6. huntingirl

huntingirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    But do y'all live in a colder area?

7. crapwagon

crapwagon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2015
    Fremont IN
    My Coop
    I'm in the northeast corner of Indiana. It gets pretty cold here. If its warm enough to rain and gets cold enough at night to freeze I would just provide a heat lamp. My birds have always done fine getting wet and I don't worry about it at night as long as it isn't below freezing. They do a good job though of getting inside and drying themselves off

8. RockyFieldsFarm

RockyFieldsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    New England
    I'm also in new England. I left my coop closed over the weekend with the -21 temps overnight. We opened the coop and they went out on the rain yesterday, they have a nice dry coop to go into if they want. Nice and sunny today!! They are enjoying the sunshine!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by