Chickens grooming each other

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TroyerGal, Apr 17, 2016.

1. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi :) I got a bantam frizzle cochin for free at a chicken thing yesterday... he is VERY interested in mating, unlike my sex-link rooster.
    well, Fluzzard, my Cochin rooster was sitting under my deck with "his ladies" and his chest was puffed out and the hens were preening him... not pecking, but a nice gentle picking. does anyone else's rooster do that?

also, can you breed sex-links??

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    yeah they will preen each other it is a sign of respect, and yes you can breed sexlinks but at the moment I can't remember any mixes, I think there are a few that if you cross a certain hen to a barred roo the chicks will be distinguishable some way but can't remember

3. birdfreak1831

birdfreak1831 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2013
    I have three new companion chickens.
    A youngster/cockerel who is very kind with the two hens, both old ladies.
    Phoenix often preens both hens while the three of them are snuggled together in a dust hole they excavated by team effort.
    They are a delight to watch.

birdfreak

4. chicklover 1998

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    awesome, what breeds do you have.

5. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

I was wondering what would happen if 2 sex-links mated and the eggs hatched... what will be produced???

6. chicklover 1998

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    I don't believe that the sex link part would carry over, I think it is just a one generation thing, if I remember right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by