Chickens, Guineas and cold?

agedog1

Songster
Jul 15, 2018
Hello i am new at raising Gunieas and chickens my Gunieas are 24 weeks old band my pullet s are 14 weeks old I have 4 of each. They have their own coops and runs that are moveable. The Guniea s have three nesting box s and a perch. The pullet s have a small housing area with 2 nesting boxs. I live in Georgia mountains - moved here at the end of June. Next week it will be 32 degrees are my feathered kids going to be Okay? Thank you for advice.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: Chickens can survive in temperatures way lower than 32 degrees. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

You are all so helpful. Drafts how do I prevent them. The chickens have a little cool house complete with their nesting box and nice wooden bar to perch on also they have a small run. They free range from 1030 to 1700 during the winter. The Gunieas have a different set up, they have a larger run and a removable wooden nesting box I cover them up with a tarp at night but it only covers about 5/8 of the entire coop/run. They get new country non Gmo, soy free pellets. The chickens get the same but also get meat bird good which is very high protein as they are still young and growing I have one bag left and when it is gone no more meat bird they will then get all New country. The new country is a bit expensive 35 pound for $30.00 but what the heck. These are my feathered kids. Tried some chopped up celery with the leaves they turned there beak up at that. My Gunieas are much larger then the Gunieas I see at the farms around here. Today we went for a 1/4 mile hike and they did very well - only the Gunieas went the chickens don't seem to be as attached to me. Let me tell you those Gunieas are sneaky and smart and know how to play "I simply don't know what you are talking about" when they want to. I am sad that my chickens aren't attached to me as my Gunieas . Max is the Gunieas leader then Angel, Shelly, and Hurbert. The pullets/chickens are Amypea, Cuddles, Snubs and Susan. Max was a bad Guniea today he went into the chicken coop and stole into their food and then he pecked Amypea. I do not understand why, he took such great care of them when they were babies. Then Shelly ( she is the mischief maker) decided she would join in on the food theft. She was yelling and screaming to high heaven when I finally got her out - but that face that only a mother could live calme d right down for a neck scratch and oil bland scratch
You are going to be in for a big surprise when your guineas start their first breeding season.

Check out the Guinea Fowl forum and the Raising Guinea Fowl 101 thread.

Back
Top Bottom