Chickens hanging out in the nest boxes!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by petesgirl, Jun 23, 2010.

1. petesgirl

petesgirl Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    Seattle
    Our 10 week old chickens have discovered their nesting boxes. At first, only the smaller chickens were hanging out in the boxes. I didn't stop them because the bigger chickens were picking on them and they would excape up to the boxes and the bigger chickens wouldn't go after them up there. Now the bigger chickens have chased the smaller ones down and are hanging out in the boxes. Should I just let them have the current nest boxes as a roost and make new lower nest boxes? The current next boxes are the highest area in the coop, so it would be difficult to put the roosts higher than the boxes. We actually just left some old cabinets we used for storage as the nest boxes, so it wouldn't be a big deal to make lower ones, only problem is when collecting eggs from lower boxes will be more difficult. I will post a picture if I figure it out in my next post!

2. petesgirl

petesgirl Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    Seattle
    OK, here is the picture. Hopefully...
    Oh, the red light is not on anymore and the little feeder is gone:)
    [​IMG]

3. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Looks great, love the setup!! The bad news is....it is total chicken nature to roost at the highest point. Unless you block off the nesting boxes (maybe, close the doors?) each evening they are going to want to go up there to sleep. Which is fine, except you're going to have to some really messy nesting boxes.

ETA: [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by