chickens hatched in house, now what.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rach4, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Rach4

Rach4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2016
    Australia
    OK so this is going to sound pretty trippy but hey only I could manage such a thing.

In a year we have gone to having 2 chickens to 9 hens and 5 roosters. they all get on fine and no problems. They are all free rangers. The past couple of weeks we had 2 chickens and 1 chick taken by a **** fox which will be soon hanging on our fence. So When a fourth chicken went missing I was devo, I changed the hours of letting the chickens out for free range and rounding them up at night to go into the coup Mind you the coup has grown to a size of a two car garage so their is plenty of room for all.

Last night I heard tweeting, and clucking. Back tracking a bit here so we don't think I am a full tripper, 2 weeks ago during one of the attacks I bolted out of the house to take on the predator just to face plant the ground and shatter my collar bone. And yes it was worth it, we managed to save my little dookie (for the third **** time hahaha) and three of her babies, but unfortunately it took one of the babies. But Dookie is going great guns now even though she coped bight wounds on her back and her tail was pulled out.
    So now fast forwarding to last night, I figured I was dreaming as I'm on strong pain management when I heard these sounds.

We have the chooks come in and out of the house all the time, so when one comes in to sun bath in the window it's nothing new. So If one was to hang around we wouldn't really notice. But when I awoke this morning lay and behold their is our little baby girl, Hope with I am not sure how many chick/s, twittering away. I was stoked, she wasn't taken, but that feeling quickly turned to oh crap now what to do.

Should I move them into a box. She is nesting in our bedroom, under a old fashion cradle in the corner of the room that you can't really see unless if you get down low and look. We are happy for her to stay their, but it's the only room in the house with carpet.
    My thinking is that I put her into an in closed box in the same corner of the room with a towel. A set up as close as i can get to which she is in now. I am wanting to move the cradle as the legs of the cradle will make it extremely hard for the little tackers to get over and out, outside. I don't wish to put them in the coup with the others yet, and no way in hell build another coup and risk it not being predator proof.

Oh and just another point as this seems so wacky, is we have not found any chicken poop inside, that was a rule, they are welcome to be inside with us especially on extreme hot days, but as soon as they starting pooping every where, they are out, so again their was no trace or evidence pointing to a chicken nestling in our bedroom. She is a very quiet little girl, all of them are even the roosters who will crow once a day in the evenings. I am as shocked at this situation as probably most of you all will be reading this, but hey only I could manage for something like this happening! LOL.

Any advice on the next steps to take and how soon to be able to take them will be much appreciated and many thanks in advance.

2. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    Usually, the hen will take the chicks out to the flock after a day or so, and they will be integrated from the start. See if she does that. If not, you may want to set her something up in your coop, rather than your bedroom. Make sure she must leave with the chicks to get food and water - she may not go if she has it provided for her in the room. The hen may be clean, but the chicks won't be, and your carpet will be ruined. Best of luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. Rach4

Aug 31, 2016
    Australia
    Thanks heaps for that, that was going to be another of my questions, previous times for Dookie i offered her water and food and she took to it, but in saying that she was outside and she knows I was their to help, and it was very warm days so she didn't venture to much. But this one is a pickle for me. I know that they the chicks use their shells up to 48hrs, but I was concerned this time being inside.... think I pamper to much lol. Thanks again

4. BIggoMamma

BIggoMamma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2017
    I have an extra large plastic storage container, a really big ones, that is clear. Drill plenty of airholes in the lid and put them in there with sawdust or wood shavings in the bottom. Put a container of baby chick crumbles and baby chick water dispenser in there. You can also use a child's plastic wading pool. I recommend the tallest one you can get to discourage hopping out. Puppy pads are also good for the bottom. Newspapers get a B-. As for the fox you have to eliminate it. Once they figure out you have chickens they will never go away and will bring more foxes.

1 person likes this.
  5. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Since your coop is giant why don't you make a little "room" for them in the coop?
    A box turned over, so it's covered, with a "door" cut out on one side...small door...enough for the chicks to run in and hide but not big enough for the "big" chickens to get into to harm them?

1 person likes this.
  6. Rach4

Aug 31, 2016
    Australia
    Yeah I have started to build a seperate wall (nailing up some chicken wire from on side to the other with another door, to put mum and chicks in. I remember Dookie taking her chicks out after a couple days. Once she starts to do that I will coax them into their new coup. For now I have a towel down which they are loving to protect carperts. I don't really want to or didn't think it was a good idea to take the chicks away from mum (?). Mum is with them I have never had a brooding box, just broody hens. Thanks to the above posts from.everyone

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by