1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens hatching out of season

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Trevor blair, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Trevor blair

Trevor blair New Egg

Oct 27, 2015
    I have had chickens for most of 40 years I live in northern Ireland we have 4 pekins clocking one hatched 6 chicks yesterday and another 4 hatched this morning the other 2 are still clocking they are all free range and we just found the nests lately has anyone had chicks hatch this time of year

1 person likes this.
  2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Being from Wisconsin, USA I am not familiar with the climate of northern Ireland. In the past I have had hens raise chicks in early spring when it froze every night and daytime temperatures stayed in the forties and fifties. I've also had hens hatch chicks in November and December when temps dropped below zero. These chicks all died. I now heat my coop. The breeds I have are not cold resistant (one member called them froo-froo chickens). With the heat I am able to allow my hens to brood and raise chicks any time of year.

Hopefully, others will reply that are from your area or an area that is similar. And welcome to BYC.

3. ViolinPlayer123

ViolinPlayer123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    MN
    I had a chick hatch august 25th. I still named her Summer[​IMG]here she is!

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm not too far away from you over in Yorkshire, England. If your hens are good broodies you should be fine. As long as they have somewhere dry, safe and draft free to go they should be good. Can you move them so where safe? I've hatched and brooded chicks right up to the end of November using heat and they have been fine. Last year there was even snow and they were fine out in the shed with lamp on.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    [​IMG]

6. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. ViolinPlayer123

ViolinPlayer123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    MN
    [​IMG]

8. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens.

10. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Cute picture! :love

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by