chickens have a cold?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by missychicky, Jan 24, 2010.

1. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    My chickens are sneezing and have mucus running down their beaks. I think they have a cold, Is This bad? What should i do?

2. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Isolate the sick ones from the well ones. It could be something serious. Keep them warm and give them the best food you can. I have pulled them through with a mash of oatmeal, gamebird crumbles, cream style corn, chopped chicken liver, and yogurt. It's possible that, even if they recover, they can remain contagious to other birds. I hope this helps and your birds get well. I have a pair of BO's that had a really rough time. They made it and one of them is a super pet. The other is still fragile, though, and has to come inside in really bad weather.

3. missychicky

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    wait so they could DIE?!!! how should I take care of them?! do they need to see the vet?! HELP!![​IMG]

4. mamaKate

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    I'm sorry, but it could happen. Are they still eating normally?

5. missychicky

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    yes they need their feeder refiled once a week....should i bring the sick ones in the house?

6. sangel4you

sangel4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    I just read in a keeping chickens book the other day for respiratory infection in poultry that many times either fresh garlic minced in some yogurt or garlic powder in their water will work. I am actually probably going to try this in the next day or two when I am home bc I have a few sneezers.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Are they ALL doing this, or just some of them. Two of mine took a short spell when they were sneezing and were releasing some clear fluid from their nostrils. I noticed it mostly when I was in the coop with them, not so much out in the run. Don't know whether it was dust or a cold, but they got over it just fine on their own. It seemed to last about 2 weeks or so. I'm in no way, shape or form an expert of any kind on chickens. But if they're eating and drinking well, and their behavior seems normal otherwise, I'd give it a little time before thinking the worst. You could put some of that vitamin powder in their water (the stuff you can get at tractor supply...maybe it's electrolites...I'm not sure).

8. mamaKate

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    You should definitely separate the sick ones. The house will work if it's only 1 or 2. Do you have a garage or other building to put them in? It's important to keep them dry and out of drafts. As far as the vet, unless you have an avian vet in the area, it might not help.

9. Luvs chickens

Luvs chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Massachusettes
    Quote:I had the same problem. A few in the coup with sneezing honking with clear nasal drainage and some with clear eye drainage. took one to the vet. told me it was probably a cold and to make sure all have fluids. difficult to seperate them as all have already BEEN EXPOSED to it as it is in the air from sneezing etc. I have been adding apple cider vinegar to there water alternating with vitamin water. The vet said they may all get it and will probably get over it and not to treat with antibiotics unless drainage becomes yellow or green. because it is probably viral. most of mine are over it now. and none have died,[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by