Chickens have a cold

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bubbles_erin, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Bubbles_erin

Bubbles_erin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    Okay so not a huge emergency. But I am slightly worried. My 2 month old RIRs have a cold, more so than the 6 month old pullet or 4 month old turkeys, they don't seem to be sick at all. What should I give them to get rid of the cold? I am thinking to enclose them again in their brooder so they stay warm and dry (its big enough to hold them all somewhat comfortably). Unfortunetly, I don't have an actual coop and they sleep in a 10x20 canopy at night with two heat lamps. I think with them being on the ground and with all the rain lately, it is what is making them sick. Any input would be helpful.

2. Hanna101

Hanna101 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    Connetticut
    well what is the temp???
    [​IMG]

3. Bubbles_erin

Jan 21, 2011
    30-40s, had some snow too, but was about 2 weeks ago. The colds seem to be more for the rain, started hearing it in their voices just a few days ago.

4. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    When you say they have a cold...what are the symptoms?

Not to be harsh, but respiratory illnesses in chickens are often fatal, and can quickly take out an entire flock. High humidity and cold weather can do a lot of damage to a chicken. They need a dry place away from drafts to take shelter.

Unless they are valued and spoiled pets or rare breeding birds, the cost to medicate far exceeds the value of the animal. Isolate any sick birds...and quickly. If these ARE valued and spoiled pets...get to the vet quickly. He will help you save your flock.

5. Bubbles_erin

Jan 21, 2011
    No they are not anything special, just some up and coming egg layers. I just went out and cleaned their home and got the brooder ready for them to home in there again. Just waiting for hubby to get home with the straw and to go and put my light down there for them and they will be back in there until 1) they recover or 2) they don't. I suppose since I am doing another hatchery order monday, I might as well order replacements if they do not pull through. I am not about to take them to the vet, but will do my best to help them recover if at all possible. I am new to keeping chickens. My Ameraucana is my only one left of the first 10 I had, she is about 6 months old, but I do know a sick chicken is not a good thing. I just don't want them to pass it to the turkeys because as far as I know, they are even more suseptable to getting sick.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    There is a product called oxine that every BYCer should have in the med. kit to read up on it go to: www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm Before I got anymore birds I would have this on hand, I'll never be with out now that I have got it. All the Best to you.

7. Bubbles_erin

Jan 21, 2011
    BTW, I try to raise as organically as possible. That being said, better to give some meds as needed than to have birds die before they are used for what I bought them for. I will check into the medication mentioned above and the one I was told about via a PM from another user. Thank you for your help. They are now settled in with their straw bedding and additional lights. I am also not going to let the forage for a few days in an attmept to keep them out of the rain and cold. Thank you all for your input.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Just so you know, chickens don't really get colds. They get respiratory diseases that usually make them carriers, even if you think they are recovered. The disease stays in your flock, in other words, and any sort of stress makes it pop back to the surface. Most folks seem to throw antibiotics at any little sneeze, but antibiotics do nothing for viruses, as you know. They can also get pneumonia if wet and chilled, which is the only thing of that sort I'd be inclined to treat.

Make sure that you still allow for ventilation up high even in winter, or moisture can build up in the coop and cause more issues, especially if you heat a moist area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by