Chickens have a different sense of proportion than we do :)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by GardenGal, Dec 10, 2011.

1. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    I learned this when our RIR, The Big Kahuna, seemed very uncomfortable, wouldn't eat or forage, and then I noticed a strange bulge. Oh no!, I thought, She's egg bound! My husband was walking the dog around the block so I had to do some quick thinking. Should I soak her in warm water as some suggest, or get out the latex gloves and the Vaseline??? She's huge, and very shy, so I couldn't imagine keeping her in a tub of water for however long. However, I couldn't imagine rooting around in a chicken's backside either! Still, I decided to go with the Vaseline. I went in to get the stuff to have ready for when my husband got back, and when I came back out I saw the biggest chicken poo ever and the Kahuna wandering around completely normal! My husband came back in time to see me laughing, still holding the Vaseline. Really glad I wasn't any quicker with the Vaseline!

And that was when I realized that chickens have a different sense of proportion than we do [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Oh my! You gave me a good laugh this evening!

3. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    [​IMG]

4. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Oh good, I thought I was the only one who thought that was funny!

5. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

I'm constantly surprised by the size of the "treasures" my girls leave me. Today, my little, little Silkie, Marsha did a little business right in front of me. Let me tell you, had I not seen it come from her I would of sworn a med sized dog had left that in the yard! [​IMG]

6. Frithest

Frithest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Seattle
    I have a friend with a sweet little serama hen named "Bomber", for obvious reasons!

7. roxysly

roxysly Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    Silverton, Oregon
    I was wondering I saw a post where someone mentioned they were going to put a diaper on her hen so she could come in the house. Did I read that correctly, do diapers work? I've brought my sally jean in the house to watch the morning news while I finish my morning joe. She sits on a big towel on my lap(after I clean her feet) and usually waits to go potty till after I take her back outside. But do people really use diapers?

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Yep...at least two different ladies make and sell them here on the BYC auctions [​IMG] Seramas and silkies seem to be the most popular house chickens.

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

[​IMG]

Gabby sporting her Zippy Draw's.... made by me..... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sophie in her's.. also made by me.... [​IMG]

10. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

How come every time I post pics it kills the thread? [​IMG] I'm starting to get a complex..... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by