Chickens have been really fun

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by UrGirlAG1, Nov 16, 2016.

1. UrGirlAG1

UrGirlAG1 New Egg

Feb 24, 2016
    I'm new to raising chickens as this is my first flock. I have six Rhode Island Reds, beautiful hens. The egg production has been pretty steady since about August, and I have been overwhelmed with the joy and entertainment these birds have brought to my family. I was just wondering what is the best way to know when you are ready to move up to a larger more diverse flock, and which chicken breeds will live harmoniously with my lovely Reds.[​IMG]

2. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! And what a nice flock of RIR's! I would check out the Learning Center for info,
    (https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center)
    And any breeds will work with your hens, just as long as you enough space, feed, and water for them.
    I hope you enjoy BYC, best wishes!

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Always Thankful Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello[​IMG]and Welcome to BYC!

Glad you decided to join us! You have some pretty girls. As RedNTN said basically any breed will work with your hens if you have the space, feed, and water. A few favorite breeds of mine are Wyandottes, Orpingtons, Plymouth Rocks, and Australorps. All of those breeds come in different color varieties, which I like :). If you have any questions feel free to ask!

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here. Enjoy BYC! :frow

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Great to have you aboard. Best wishes to you and your growing flock! :)

6. UrGirlAG1

UrGirlAG1 New Egg

Feb 24, 2016
    Thank you all for the welcome and all of the comments. I will no doubt be back often as my flock grows and my knowledge grows looking for more experienced advice.

7. Fluffers

Fluffers Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi! Welcome to the BYC flock :) I recommend getting barred plymoth rocks, austrolorp, and buff orpingtons :) Easter Eggers are pretty cute, i hear they are friendly too but i haven't had them myself. Cute Hens! i like the one that is looking up at the camera (on the right)

[​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - your birds are in apparent excellent condition. Australorps and Orpingtons are generally mellow breeds, and Easter Eggers are great for their colored eggs.

1 person likes this.
  9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sourland gave you some great suggestions for breeds. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by