1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens have bugs on them

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jrstubs, Jul 27, 2007.

1. jrstubs

jrstubs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2007
    New York
    My chickens have bugs on them, I believe its only the older ones, they are in a different coop than our babies....and the bantams sleep in our maple tree....

In their coop there are these bugs on the roosts, floor, walls.....and on the chickens. Whenever I go to pick the eggs or pick up a chicken I get these bugs on me. I took a picture of my sick roosters butt, because he was easy to catch.

There are also another type of bug thats on them that are even smaller, but my camera didnt pick them up.

Is there any way to get rid of them?

[​IMG]

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Is that mites? If so you need to deep clean your whole coop & treat your birds. I just went out and bought the ivomec eprinex for my birds. I haven't seen any but want to deworm & debug them now & in the winter time. So far I have been really lucky with my birds. I have dusted my silkies but it very hard because of the way their feathers are.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Great picture there. Looks like you have lice. When I end up with an infestation I go out and dust each individual bird and the roosts and the litter with a poultry dust from the feed store. You can also liberally apply DE to everything continuously if you can find it in your area. If you use poultry dust, reapply every few weeks or so for a few months. Check often because once you get them... it's nearly impossible to get rid of. I would also dust your chicks and the bantams in the tree since they probably have it too.

Oh, and with what Poison Ivy said, before you dust the litter... change it out, especially if you use straw. They can hide in there. Since you are getting them on you when you get eggs. I would say you have a very bad infestation. Don't worry about yourself though, since lice are species specific.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  4. Poison Ivy

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Will the orange guard help if you spray the area pretty heavy with it? I just got mine and sprayed the coop & rabbit hutch. But I would rather be safe the sorry. I can't stand bugs even looking at them make me itch!

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've never used orange gaurd myself. I hear DE works wonders though from everyone here. Haven't forked out the 16 bucks for that huge 40 lb bag yet but might soon.

6. jrstubs

jrstubs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2007
    New York
    My brother says we have some poultry dust somewhere, but he won't let me use it. He says that it is poisonous for both the chickens and you if you breath it in. can anyone verify this..?

7. Poison Ivy

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I have a can of poulty dust and its says to dust each bird so I'm sure it's fine. Now I wouldn't go breathing it in but I did get some on me the other night. I don't glow in the dark yet! LOL

8. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    My rooster had those. I don't know if they're mites or lice but either way they had to go! I put food grade DE all over him. That was about a week ago. One day I'll be able to catch him again to see if they're dead. [​IMG]

9. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    If you are concerned about poisons get some food grade DE and use it. Even organic farmers are allowed to use it, it kills by scratching the bugs and dehydrating them. Have your brother read up on it and I bet he will be OK that you won't get poisoned.

10. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

In addition to dusting, I also use the "pour on" cattle wormer. It goes on their skin and kills worms as well as lice and mites. Use .25cc per bird and drop it on their back directly on the skin.
    The poultry dust is fine. I've used it and I'm still alive! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by