1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens have extremely runny poop!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by arwebb8419, Jan 23, 2017.

1. arwebb8419

arwebb8419 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2016
    North Texas
    [​IMG]
    My chickens have had extremely runny poop today! Some is even clear almost like water? It has only been 67 degrees today. Should I be concerned? I posted picture of poop, is it normal?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Where is your general location. It's helpful if you put that in your profile. If it's winter where you are, and today is unseasonably warm, that may be why. Otherwise, i don't know. Any change in diet?

3. arwebb8419

arwebb8419 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2016
    North Texas
    Oh I'm sorry! This is my first time raising chickens! I live in north Texas! Our temps right now fluctuate up and down a lot right now. The low this morning was 37 and the high in the upper 60's. Their diet has pretty much stayed the same.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Poop can vary, not only from day to day, but hour to hour. Poop alone is not a good indication of illness.

A lot of things can cause runny poop - temperature fluctuations, water intake, water content of vegetables offered, worms, yeast infections, etc.

The thing to do if you are concerned is to isolate the chicken whose poop concerns you. Observe the poop over the span of that entire day. This will also give you the opportunity to observe the behavior of that individual because behavior more than any other thing will tell you if your chicken is sick. The symptoms of a sick chicken are a normally chatty and vocal individual going mute. They will be sedentary, not moving much, usually facing a wall or corner with tail held low and flat. They may nod off while standing up, not moving much from one spot. They may have no desire to eat.

The only time poop should alarm you on its own is when you see actual blood in the stool. Or worms in the pile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by