Chickens have naked butts!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sweetest, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Sweetest

Sweetest Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2013
    Ok, so it seems that all 11 of my chickens have plucked out the feathers on their butt/lower belly area. One has even pulled out the feathers on her chest. So when they're free ranging, I see jaunty hen tails...and naked hen butts.
    No mites. But what gives?! [​IMG]

2. rc4u

rc4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    maybe there taking after someone??? you don't have any streekers or live in a communal area?? really just kidding..

3. Sweetest

Apr 5, 2013
    Haha! Sadly, life would be made a lot more exciting by something like that! Hmm, they CAN see in our bathroom window from their run...why they haven't gone blind by now... :)

4. tadaen sylverma

tadaen sylverma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2014
    2 of my standards ( jersey giants??? I think ) have similar. Zero feathers on the back end of their breasts, well below the tail visible only from directly behind them. I had worried it might be something but they seem fine, and both of them are the same way. The bantams are perfectly fine but I don't know what to do with these 2 big ones I have. They are laying normally it seems. Get at least 1 good sized egg every day, sometimes 2 (total not from each, the eggs are plainly different each time so maybe each one is giving 1 every other day or something).

I just wonder if I need to worry about this.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  5. sphillips

sphillips Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    New Mexico
    I started seeing the same thing with my chickens, started with one, but now all but my white Leghorns are bald butts. I thought they may be starting a moult, as they are about a year old now. Have more questions, but will run my own post on that. Hope you get some answers!

6. WindStep

WindStep Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    ?

7. Sweetest

Apr 5, 2013
    Mine are about a year old now too...could just be a moult.

8. sunspot

sunspot Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2013
    New Forest UK
    Same here - but I have seen them pecking from each other. Too many in my pen (20)?

They lay OK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by