Chickens have plugged nostrils?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickN00b, Dec 14, 2013.

1. ChickN00b

ChickN00b New Egg

Oct 22, 2013
    Recently started seeing that my two chicks are making noses when they breathe through their noses. It doesn't always happen but for example, when they're picking at their feathers and come back up for air, it'll sound like a human stuffy nose. This leads to them occasionally breathing quickly with their beaks open, like panting pretty much. The panting doesn't always happen though, they can sit with their beaks closed but the noises that they make with their noses makes me assume there's some sort of blockage

Their poop has no blood in it, still eat and drink normally, run around like always and combs are fine.

If this is the case, plugged nares, how do I clean it out? They're barred rock btw

2. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Are they sneezing at all? A "chicken cold" could be all sorts of things. Has it been cold lately? Do you hear them coughing at all? I have heard that chickens with infectious bronchitis will have runny noses in addition to sneezing and coughing. If a bird does have IF they will lay puckered or wrinkled eggs, so you could check for that as well. Are there any other upper respiratory symptoms or just the runny noses?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by