Chickens have round worms... Help!!

sebsmom

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 15, 2013
Hey, I'm quite sure I found round worms in my chicken poop. The only dewormer available to me here in BC was Piperazine. Can we eat the eggs if the chickens are invested??? Meaning can the worms pass into eggs??? ( We have a stockpile in fridge currently) I'm assuming we shouldn't eat the eggs now that I have treated them right?? Anyone else use this ??? Any info/ advice is greatly appreciated!! Thank you

I believe the withdrawal for piperazine is 21 days; the package should tell you. It is rare for a worm to amke its way into an egg as they are different compartments of the body, but it does happen.

Let me correct myself. The package usually says not to eat the meat for 14 days. If the meat is OK in 14 days, I'd say the eggs are, as well.

Hey, I'm quite sure I found round worms in my chicken poop. The only dewormer available to me here in BC was Piperazine. Can we eat the eggs if the chickens are invested??? Meaning can the worms pass into eggs??? ( We have a stockpile in fridge currently) I'm assuming we shouldn't eat the eggs now that I have treated them right?? Anyone else use this ??? Any info/ advice is greatly appreciated!! Thank you

You can also use the horse wormer called Safeguard or Panacur (10% fenbendazole), it will kill many types of worms if dosed properly.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Thank you! My package has no withdrawal info at all. It's weird because its the only wormer available to me but when you google it, it says not for layer hens!!! Is it better to give one dose of piperazine and the next with safeguard????

The "not for layer hens" on piperazine may be a commercial restriction, somewhere. Please don't worry about using it. Actually, piperazine is the only wormer which is approved for use in poultry. There are cattle and goat wormers such as fenbendazole and albendazole which are also used and which treat more types of worms. However, you said the only thing you can get in BC is piperazine, and if you saw roundworms, it will certainly help them, a lot.

If you had posted asking what to use, I would have recommended either fenbendazole or albendazole, which is what I use.

http://healthybirds.umd.edu/Disease/Deworming Birds.pdf

I think that it's difficult for Canadians to get the fenbendazole liquid, but the horse paste is easy to get, which is why I mentioned it.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom