Chickens have runny noses and coughs. HELP!!!

Rhythmoflove_11

In the Brooder
May 21, 2019
Went outside yesterday and one of my 22 week olds (not laying yet), was by herself, drooling from her beak, puffed up and very lethargic. She’s making a kind of gargling/heavy breathing sound and it’s like she keeps kinda sneezing. The drool from her beak was clear, thicker. She’s almost just standing on one leg and she’s kinda hanging her head. She’s barely eating or drinking.

1FB68B24-44D0-4681-AF68-D453D9612FBE.jpeg

She’s super puffed up.
Fast forward to the end of the day and she looks like this
1ED91ACB-E890-4ABD-ACC4-087E4D6E7ECD.jpeg

She keeps coughing and making these weird almost gurgling sounds, and her eyes are watering. Tried to get some Nutridrench in her, but was only able to get a little. She looks so pitiful, just compared to the morning picture of her.
One of my chicks born in the middle of July is also doing it, except he seems even more lethargic and is standing there just closing his eyes. He has all the other symptoms my other girl does. And tonight when I was giving him some of the Nurtidrench, he pooped and it was a bit milky/ mucus and had a little bit of blood. I put Corid in their water today, just in case, but it doesn’t seem to be that, and he’s the only one I’ve seen with any blood in the poop.
Another girl is now puffed up and isn’t eating/drinking hardly and has the runny nose, and more are getting the runny noses, and starting to make the weird sounds/coughing as of tonight.
One little Roo from July, seems to not be able to open one eye because of it being junky.
This came on so fast Sunday night everyone was completely fine.
I’m afraid of what I’m going to come out to, in the morning.

Also we have at least two that were hatched last year, that we believe are molting. Never experienced it before, but I’m pretty sure they’ve been for the past week or so.
Like to add we have about 5 too many in their space, as we had a raccoon get into our other coop/area about two weeks ago, twice, and we had to move the lone survivor to the more secure place. And we also have 4 chicks born in July that are roos that will be gone, soon. We’re planning on making a bigger run this week.
It seems each one of them is going to get it, and I’m terrified of losing more of them. What could it be and what should I buy/do for them?

I would research avian influenza in chickens. If I remember correctly from doing my research for 4H, your chickens seem to have the same symptoms, the part about them all of a sudden being fine just doesn’t add up though. I’m not the most reliable source to get information from, but I just thought I’d let you know. I hope you find out what’s causing your birds to get sick :C

I would research avian influenza in chickens. If I remember correctly from doing my research for 4H, your chickens seem to have the same symptoms, the part about them all of a sudden being fine just doesn’t add up though. I’m not the most reliable source to get information from, but I just thought I’d let you know. I hope you find out what’s causing your birds to get sick :C
I read the part about them not getting better wrong. Sorry. That would make sense. Are any of their combs or feet turning purple?

Went outside yesterday and one of my 22 week olds (not laying yet), was by herself, drooling from her beak, puffed up and very lethargic. She’s making a kind of gargling/heavy breathing sound and it’s like she keeps kinda sneezing. The drool from her beak was clear, thicker. She’s almost just standing on one leg and she’s kinda hanging her head. She’s barely eating or drinking.

1FB68B24-44D0-4681-AF68-D453D9612FBE.jpeg

She’s super puffed up.
Fast forward to the end of the day and she looks like this
View attachment 2352804
She keeps coughing and making these weird almost gurgling sounds, and her eyes are watering. Tried to get some Nutridrench in her, but was only able to get a little. She looks so pitiful, just compared to the morning picture of her.
One of my chicks born in the middle of July is also doing it, except he seems even more lethargic and is standing there just closing his eyes. He has all the other symptoms my other girl does. And tonight when I was giving him some of the Nurtidrench, he pooped and it was a bit milky/ mucus and had a little bit of blood. I put Corid in their water today, just in case, but it doesn’t seem to be that, and he’s the only one I’ve seen with any blood in the poop.
Another girl is now puffed up and isn’t eating/drinking hardly and has the runny nose, and more are getting the runny noses, and starting to make the weird sounds/coughing as of tonight.
One little Roo from July, seems to not be able to open one eye because of it being junky.
This came on so fast Sunday night everyone was completely fine.
I’m afraid of what I’m going to come out to, in the morning.

Also we have at least two that were hatched last year, that we believe are molting. Never experienced it before, but I’m pretty sure they’ve been for the past week or so.
Like to add we have about 5 too many in their space, as we had a raccoon get into our other coop/area about two weeks ago, twice, and we had to move the lone survivor to the more secure place. And we also have 4 chicks born in July that are roos that will be gone, soon. We’re planning on making a bigger run this week.
It seems each one of them is going to get it, and I’m terrified of losing more of them. What could it be and what should I buy/do for them?
You have another thread with some questions and suggestions that were not answered. You may want to take a look at that.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chickens-drooling-and-lethargic-help.1418945/

If you are seeing blood in the poop, continue with the Corid treatment.
Make sure you are using the correct dose.

Dose for Liquid Corid is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.

Don't add anything else to the water except for Corid. Cut out the Nutri-Drench it contains B1 which may contradict the Corid.

Treat all of them.

I read the part about them not getting better wrong. Sorry. That would make sense. Are any of their combs or feet turning purple?
I looked it up and I’m not sure if it’s quite that. None of them have purple combs or legs. The boy that was so lethargic died last night. The hen looks even worse today and just keeps drooling. Another one had her eye closed and it looks like she open it and some of them have mucus coming from their nose. All of them are acting weird and I’m afraid we’re gonna lose all of our chickens, if we don’t figure out something to try.

Sorry looks like she can’t open.

I would quartine the birds with the sickness. One of my chickens was sneezing and had that clear, thick fluid coming from her beak. She actually has Wet Fowl Pox. Though i doubt this is what they have, maybe you want to check inside their beaks for warts. Hope they get better soon!

You have another thread with some questions and suggestions that were not answered. You may want to take a look at that.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chickens-drooling-and-lethargic-help.1418945/

If you are seeing blood in the poop, continue with the Corid treatment.
Make sure you are using the correct dose.

Dose for Liquid Corid is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.

Don't add anything else to the water except for Corid. Cut out the Nutri-Drench it contains B1 which may contradict the Corid.

Treat all of them.
I don’t think it’s the crop, but I’ve always been confused by it, a bit. The boy died last night. And the hen looks much worse today and doesn’t seem to be eating at all. Maybe not even drinking. She had runny yellow poop this morning. And this weird coughing/almost gagging sound. Also sneezing and lots of others are sneezing as well. None of the flock are hardly eating and don’t even want their scratch. Could it be something on top of needing Corid? We’ve had ones with it before, and none of them had all those respiratory problems.

I would quartine the birds with the sickness. One of my chickens was sneezing and had that clear, thick fluid coming from her beak. She actually has Wet Fowl Pox. Though i doubt this is what they have, maybe you want to check inside their beaks for warts. Hope they get better soon!
It seems like all of them are already getting it, though. None of them have warts. Already looked inside a few of their beaks, trying to figured it out. One just sneezed and blood came out his mouth. It looks like he’s dying I have no idea what’s wrong with them and I’m freaking out.

Back
Top Bottom