Chickens have some type of virus any ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by audieval, Nov 22, 2016.

1. audieval

audieval New Egg

Nov 22, 2016
    So I have 23 chickens an about two weeks ago one of my buff brahma bantams had sores on her face and was swelled with her eyes shut so I took her to the vet where she was given an antibiotic shot, laser on her sores and I had to give her eye cream and a drainer (the vet is a holistic/ modern medicine) closet vet I found that treated chickens. We did not do testing because she said it would be more expensive verses trying this approach. After $185 later and week indoors she is fine but now I have several of my older chickens with the face issue going on. I can not afford to take every chicken to the vet so I am trying to figure out if it had to do with the mite issue I have I believe taken care of or pecking going on. They are eating just fine and run around any advice would be greatly appreciated because now it is the silkie my daughter is showing for 4-H in February that I am concerned about. I have been treating her with a spray for wounds and it seems to not be as bad and her eyes are clearing up after giving her the eye cream I had for a couple days.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like it could be fowl pox. Posting a picture or two may help of the sores one the face. Pox is a virus, but sometimes can look like pecking. If the eyes are swollen and gunky, which sometimes happens with pox, but also can happen with a respiratory disease such as MG or coryza, they should be cleaned with saline or water. Antibiotic ointment such as Terramycin or neosporin can be applied twice daily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by