Chickens have sores on head & closed eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gingit, Jan 20, 2012.

1. gingit

gingit Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    South Florida
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    These are 3 different pullets.
    We have a large coup with about 160 3+ months old chickens who free range during the day in a very large (bout 1/4 acre) fenced yard we closed for them. about 110 are pullets, the rest are (will be) roosters.
    The problem is with 10 of them.

We also see that some of them pick each other's feathers and chew on them while they have unlimited feed & grass available.

Can someone give me an advice as to what it may be and what will be the best way to fix it?
    We are building another coop for them. Once it will be ready we will separate the pullets from the roosters. It will be in the next week or two.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
  3. gingit

gingit Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    South Florida
    Looks like it.
    Hubby is building a large storage room near the new coop. He'll finish it tomorrow so we can transfer the sick ones there, hopefully in time to avoid spreading it.
    Thanks!

4. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    When my hens have this, i put peroxide on it for a couple of days. It goes right away.

5. BurtonsBirds

BurtonsBirds New Egg

Jun 14, 2013
    East Texas
    When you put peroxide on them for a couple of days do you separate the obviously affected ones? What causes this? Have not had any new chickens added to the coop?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That's pox... I used iodine on mine.

-Kathy

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by