Chickens have souls.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Johnny Twoshoes, May 13, 2011.

1. Johnny Twoshoes

Johnny Twoshoes New Egg

May 13, 2011
    This is my first post, and I hope it will be one of many more to come. I've browsed this forum before and and have really enjoyed the common love shared here for chickens, it seems like a great place to BS about about those little feathered friends.

Almost 8 years ago now we added a rooster to the farm, and in those 8 years we had become attached to him. We've had other roosters on the farm, but they were mean, this may sound crazy but, this rooster was the gentleman of all roosters. He never chased anyone, he didn't like to fight with the other roosters, and he was a great leader for the hens, there was just something special about Splice that we loved. We got him off another farm all those 8 years ago, and he was a mature rooster then, but he spent the next 8 years happily becoming The chicken of the farm. He was a staple to us and the neighbors. We had roosters that would chase the neighbors (all the neighbors are relatives, which isn't always a bad thing [​IMG]), then Splice would come to the rescue and run the others off.

He died yesterday afternoon, we figure it was just his time, but he will be missed badly by all. [​IMG]
    He had a constant companion, an old Rhode Island Red hen, she wouldn't leave his side when he passed, really tough to see her with the other roosters.

I'd love to post a pic, but because I'm a newby I guess I'll have to wait.

P.S.
    Thanks for letting me share my disappointment of the loss of a great feathered friend.

2. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Johnny I'm so sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing the story of your wonderful roo.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] Thats a great story and title to the post. Wonderful to hear about the best of the best. (We hear alot about the worst of the worst!!)

4. Johnny Twoshoes

Johnny Twoshoes New Egg

May 13, 2011
    Thank you both for the kind words, I think I can post a picture now.

Here he is with his faithful followers.
    [​IMG]

5. Smith farm

Smith farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Blum, Tx
    [​IMG] SO SO SO SO Sorry to hear about your loss it is very easy to become attatched to these wonderful and comical creatures!!! [​IMG]

6. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    He's a beauty. Thank you for sharing his story. It sounds like he had a good long life. I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

7. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Very handsome boy!

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Welcome! [​IMG]

So sorry for your loss! He was magnificent! You were so lucky to have a nice, handsome, gentleman rooster....

I have two hens that are absolutely sweethearts! My favorite is a Cream Brabanter, and she absolutely must be picked up each day when I come out to do the chicken chores. If I don't pay her the proper attention, she will just fly and land right on my head!

So Petite Miss always gets her little cuddle every day.....

9. Johnny Twoshoes

Johnny Twoshoes New Egg

May 13, 2011
    Thankfully we have 18 chicks added to the little flock, the silkies have been very busy.
    It appears that more than a few are Splices little ones, so we're hoping his legacy could be carried on for the farm.

10. Johnny Twoshoes

Johnny Twoshoes New Egg

May 13, 2011
    CM, that it too cute. [​IMG]
    I love the different personalities of our chickens, they find a way to become a great joy in our lives.

These are the two chicks that I hope to become like Splice, we're pretty sure their his chicks, so even if they don't act like him, they'll be a good reminder of his memory. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's Red, her first day alone.
    [​IMG]
    I seriously think she misses him. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by