Chickens have started laying eggs outside the coop, and in places I can't get to

FarmerWife

Songster
9 Years
Oct 27, 2010
Hello,
Our chickens have started laying eggs outside of their coop, some of them, not all. Some places I can't get to, like under huge rose bushes. We have a Lady Banksia rose almost the size of a small house, no kidding. They've started going underneath it and laying eggs, I hear them when they come out cackling. How do I get them to go back to the coop? Any advice? Thanks in advance

Dianna

Hello,
Our chickens have started laying eggs outside of their coop, some of them, not all. Some places I can't get to, like under huge rose bushes. We have a Lady Banksia rose almost the size of a small house, no kidding. They've started going underneath it and laying eggs, I hear them when they come out cackling. How do I get them to go back to the coop? Any advice? Thanks in advance

Dianna

I had this problem, once. Hired the neighbor's grandsons to crawl under the porch and around to the front of the house to collect the eggs, then barricaded where Betty had been getting in. Finally, I locked her in the coop, until she got the idea from the other girls. It only took a few days. Seems their memories aren't super long.

Maybe I might try that for a day or two. They hate being locked up, but maybe a day or two of not having any choice but to lay their eggs in the coop might get them over it. Worth a try!!! Thanks!!

Dianna

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 2-3 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 2-3 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it.
I'll try it, thank you for the advice. It drives me crazy, especially when it's under that rose bush, I'm all scratched and cut from trying to block off their little tunnels they made. Lock down it is, I know they hate it, but oh well, lol . Thanks , hope you all have a great weekend!

Blessings,
Dianna

I'll try it, thank you for the advice. It drives me crazy, especially when it's under that rose bush, I'm all scratched and cut from trying to block off their little tunnels they made. Lock down it is, I know they hate it, but oh well, lol . Thanks , hope you all have a great weekend!

Blessings,
Dianna

Look at the bright side; the lock down won't last long, and everything will be hunky-dorey when it's over.

Back
Top Bottom