Chickens have stopped going into the coop at night

supchicks

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 1, 2015
Ontario
For months, my girls were doing a great job of putting themselves to bed at night in the coop. At dusk, the four of them would mosey up the ramp into the coop, the automatic door would shut, and they'd call it a night.

Now, they've started staying out longer and bedding down for the night under the coop. One might eventually usually sit at the top of the ramp and fuss about the automatic door being shut, but the rest don't give a cluck. They want to camp out. I have to get a rake and literally drag them out from under the coop because I don't want to crawl through poop and feathers to get them to bed.

Any ideas how to get them sleeping in the coop again? They've all just started laying in the last 2 weeks so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it. Other than that, nothing in the coop has changed. We're going away this weekend and I'm worried about them staying out all night even though our run is very well secured (I know nothing is truly predator-proof).

Thanks!

It may be that the coop is infested with mites. I don't think beginning laying has anything to do with the issue.
I would treat the coop for mites and see if that does the trick.
Good luck

CT

Back
Top Bottom