1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens have stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by juliecarkhuff, Oct 9, 2011.

1. juliecarkhuff

juliecarkhuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    Hello I need some help I got 24 chicks this spring and in Aug. they started laying. I have been getting between 17 and 20 eggs a day for the past month. two weeks ago I was making apple sause and I gave the hens all the peels and cores. That same day it got very cold and rainy out. It rained almost a week and the girls stayed mostly in the coop. They were still laying 17 to 20 eggs until 4 days ago when I only got 2 eggs and thats all I have gotten each day since. They are all eating well They look good and dont seem to be sick. This is my first time with chickens and I dont have any idea what could be wrong. If anyone has any idea what could be wrong Please help.

2. DebbieDee

DebbieDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Boise
    Well where do you live?What kind of chickens are these?Maybe they are upset.Maybe they are season sensitive. Maybe they hide their eggs. Everything upsets chickens.They may just be adjusting to the season.[​IMG]

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Is there a place where they could be laying and hiding their eggs? Many times several birds will lay in one spot.

4. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Shorter daylight hours? I have an artificial light on to keep them laying. They get 14-16 hours depending on the weather.....

5. juliecarkhuff

juliecarkhuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    I live in NH they are mostly RI reds I have looked outside in their pen and cant find any place they are laying I dont think they are stressed nothing has happened to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by