1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens have suddenly stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tdmmom, Apr 3, 2012.

1. tdmmom

tdmmom New Egg

Apr 3, 2012
    We have 8 hens and 2 roosters that were 1+ years old when we received them in February. We are in Texas, so it is already nice warm weather (50 - 60 in the mornings and 80 -90 F in the afternoon). We were getting 6-8 eggs daily until last Friday (3/30). Now we are only getting 1-2 per day. All chickens seem to be healthy, eating and drinking well. No signs of moulting. We are new to this and would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

2. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Do you have a egg eater?Or something or someone going in the coop and gettting them

3. tdmmom

tdmmom New Egg

Apr 3, 2012
    We have not seen any evidence of an egg eater or of a predator. They are locked up tight at night and in a yard during the day.

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Search the yard, they may have decided to lay out there.

5. tdmmom

tdmmom New Egg

Apr 3, 2012
    We have check all over and even thoroughly cleaned the coop and yard yesterday. No evidence of eggs anywhere. No eggs today at all. We do have one girl that has been brooday for about a week and another that was on the nest all day today. Neither has an egg under them.

6. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    I hear your frustration. It may just be one of those times when they just aren't laying. If they haven't picked up the pace in a couple of day I'd start to think health issues.

7. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    When this has happened to me, they have almost always had a nest somewhere else, sometimes in "plain' site. Go down to your run, take a chair and a book, and wait and just see what is going on. You will hear the egg song, and you can see what happens next, or where she is.

MrsK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by