Chickens have very bloody poop! HELP Please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Janelle123, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Janelle123

Janelle123 New Egg

Aug 9, 2011
    I am a brand new chicken owner and seriously in need of some help! I have six hens that are all five months old and at least four of them have blood coming from their vents as of this morning. Here's is the time line for what has been happening: Monday (three days ago) all chickens seem fine and the RI Red layed her first egg which came out clean and perfect and with two yolks and all seemed perfect, but the next morning, Tuesday, she had a lot of blood under her roost and continued to poop blood off and on all day but acted fine otherwise. All the other chickens seemed fine and none are laying as of yet. Wednesday morning I found two smashed eggs under RI Red's roost and again a lot of blood. Another hen, the Austrolorp, started acting very lethargic and her comb, wattle, and face that were previously very red are looking very pale pink. She eventually drank water but hasn't eaten much at all. This morning I found blood under four of the chickens roosts: RI Red, Australorp, and under both Americaunas. One of the Americaunas is now very lethargic and she and the Australorp are hiding in a bush. The RI Red acts fine and has been eating and drinking well - no egg today. At first, I thought it was associated with the first egg laying, but now am very confused and very concerned that they are all becoming ill. Thank you for any help you can offer!!

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    I'd say this is Coccidiosis.Get some Corid, quick! I hope someone far more experienced can help! [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  4. Janelle123

Janelle123 New Egg

Aug 9, 2011
    Thank you both for the info - I am off to get Corid! The poop photo link is great!!

5. Janelle123

Janelle123 New Egg

Aug 9, 2011
    Chickens are doing so much better already after only about 36 hours on the Corid!! No more blood and all but one are acting perky again - hopefully she'll be feeling better soon. Thank you so much for your help!

6. Bockbockbilly

Bockbockbilly New Egg

Aug 13, 2011
    Follow up question (Janelle's husband), what can you do to prevent future cocci infections? I understand it is a soil born bacterium sp.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:The kind of news we like to hear. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by