Chickens have worms - eggs ok to eat prior to treatment?

mtma

Songster
5 Years
Jul 18, 2018
Hi! One or more of our eight hens have worms as we found the little white (tapeworms, I believe) in some poo. We treated them today, but have a couple dozen eggs we have collected over the last week or so that they laid before we knew of the worms. We are not going to eat the eggs for several weeks while we they are being treated (used Zimecterin Gold), but is there any chance we could be infected with worms from eating the eggs they have laid recently? If they don't need to be wasted we would like to use them, but not if there is any chance of getting the worms. Yikes! Thank you so much.

DON"T EAT THE EGGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i think you can get worms and plus some meds say you have to wait a certain period of time before you can eat the eggs:oops::)

Thanks! We are throwing out the eggs since they have had medication. It's the eggs before we knew that are in question (and I ate some over the last week before I knew..:hmm)

you should be okay you know you should take a look at the book a kids guide to keeping chickens it is for kids but it helped me out when getting started with chickens ti has stuff on deworming:)

Thank you! Chickens are treated, so I'm throwing those eggs out for the next month. :hit But, I still have a load of eggs from before we knew...hard to throw those out as well (store eggs are just not the same...), but I probably will. I appreciate everyone's replies and suggestions! :)

I personally think the eggs that you got before you started treating them are fine. As far as I’ve always known worms don’t get in eggs. I know it’s hard throwing away those eggs while they’re being treated. I had to get my husband to throw them away for me before when mine was on in a antibiotics. I hope everything works out well for your chickens

Back
Top Bottom