Chickens have worms.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 70monte, Jul 29, 2010.

1. 70monte

70monte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Aurora, MO
    Today one of the chickens pooped right in front of me and it was dark brown and runny and noticed something moving in it. The poop had a few very tiny worms moving around. They were not very long, white, and looked very thin. What kind of worms could this be and what can I treat them with.

I have one hen that is very listless and stays off by herself and I'm assuming that she also has worms. Let me know what I need to treat them with. Thanks.

Wayne

2. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Bout 1/2 inch long? probably cecal worms..I use Valbazen..Safeguard (fenbendazole) will work also

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  3. 70monte

Jun 5, 2009
    Aurora, MO
    Yes, they are probably 1/2" long. Where can I get this stuff? We have a MFA feed store, would they have it.? Thanks.

Wayne

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Go online to 'jeffers livestock' and you can order Valbazen there, that's where I bought mine. Valbazen kills all kinds of worms including tapeworms. They ship it fast too. You can buy Safeguard there as well but you can probably buy it at a feed store or TSC. FYI: Valbazen's label states for 'cattle and sheep.' Safeguard (fenbendazole) is an equine paste wormer. Dosage for Valbazen is one half cc/ml per chicken (not injected) given orally. Ten days later after giving them the Valbazen, give them each a 'pea' sized dose of Safeguard paste. Discard the eggs 2 weeks after the Valbazen and Safeguard for a total of 4 weeks.

5. donnaps23

donnaps23 New Egg

Jul 28, 2010
    would diatomacious earth (spelling?) work for this? I have rubbed it on the chickens before to guard against mites, etc. but I also know if it is the food grade kind it can be added to their feed. Here is something I found in my notes, though I haven't tried it other than with the cats.

For daily maintenance on cats and dogs, cut portion by half. Small dogs and special breeds can be sensitive to any change in diet. Use common sense and consult with your vet if you have any concerns or questions.
    • Cows/Horses get 1-2 oz per day
    • Sheep/Goats/Hogs get 1/2 oz per day
    • Cats get 1/2 teaspoon per day
    • Large Cats - 1 teaspoon
    • Kittens - 1/4 teaspoon
    • Dog 100 lbs + - 2 tablespoon
    • 50 - 100lbs - 1 tablespoon
    • Under 50 lbs - 1 teaspoons
    • Mini dogs - 1/2 teaspoon
    For Chickens and other livestock you need to weight the feed and add 2% of that weight in Diatomaceous Earth Your livestock will also get the benefit of over 14 trace minerals that make up Diatomaceous Earth.

Pasted from <http://www.dirtworks.net/Diatomaceous-Earth.html>

6. burquechick

burquechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Quote:I don't know that DE will help an already established infestation. I thought DE was more of a preventative. ??

7. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

DE is a preventative for worms. Once they have worms (I use food grade DE in my chickens feed and have never seen worms) You need to use a wormer. I have read on a breeders website (Sweetwater poultry) that a very safe product to use is injectable Ivomectin (cattle wormer) put in their water for a couple days. It is even safe for chicks and you can still eat your chickens eggs! If you go to Sweetwaters website and look under the catagory "Health" she has an explanation and directions on how to use the product. Hope this helps [​IMG]

8. 70monte

Jun 5, 2009
    Aurora, MO
    Thanks for the information everyone. I'm going to see what I can find.

Wayne

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    DE is useless when wet, just like in chickens innards and wont kill worms. If you choose Ivermectin...be careful which one you choose...Eprinex is the only one that does not require a withdrawal period.

10. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I use Safegaurd LIQUID for goats. I just mix it in their water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by