Chickens haven’t started laying eggs yet?

Oct 19, 2018
Utah
My three little chickies Will be 6 months old on the 28th of this month, I got them in April, and they haven’t started laying yet, one has started doing the squatting thing with the wings spread out, and one has kinda started doing it, two have pretty red combs, I’m a first timer, and was told they would at about 6 months but some people’s started laying at 4-5 months old, with it being fall and close to winter, will they wait until spring to lay? Someone please enlighten me!! I’m afraid my chickens are broken!

Attachments

• C5D2286B-EBFF-4495-86E1-8B9358B5F291.jpeg
    C5D2286B-EBFF-4495-86E1-8B9358B5F291.jpeg
    519 KB · Views: 23
My three little chickies Will be 6 months old on the 28th of this month, I got them in April, and they haven’t started laying yet, one has started doing the squatting thing with the wings spread out, and one has kinda started doing it, two have pretty red combs, I’m a first timer, and was told they would at about 6 months but some people’s started laying at 4-5 months old, with it being fall and close to winter, will they wait until spring to lay? Someone please enlighten me!! I’m afraid my chickens are broken!
Your chickens are perfectly normal..:hugs

Some of it depends on your climate and temps, some on the breed and individual birds themselves.
If you aren't getting cooler temps and shorter days I bet they start soon. If you are however, they may not lay till spring. But fear not, as long as they are hens and properly fed and cared for, they will lay.. Best of luck to you and your girls. :love

Don't worry, your chickens aren't broken! They generally don't produce a lot of eggs during colder temps or when the days are shorter and not sunny. Being in Pennsylvania, my hens have nearly stopped laying now that the temps are starting to feel like winter! Yours will start to lay eggs eventually, and possibly at different times too. Nothing to worry about - they're totally fine! Just give them some time. :)

Your chickens are perfectly normal..:hugs

Some of it depends on your climate and temps, some on the breed and individual birds themselves.
If you aren't getting cooler temps and shorter days I bet they start soon. If you are however, they may not lay till spring. But fear not, as long as they are hens and properly fed and cared for, they will lay.. Best of luck to you and your girls. :love

I was told to put them on layer feed after 18 weeks, should I go back to the grower feed until they lay eggs? Is that ok to switch food like that?

Don't worry, your chickens aren't broken! They generally don't produce a lot of eggs during colder temps or when the days are shorter and not sunny. Being in Pennsylvania, my hens have nearly stopped laying now that the temps are starting to feel like winter! Yours will start to lay eggs eventually, and possibly at different times too. Nothing to worry about - they're totally fine! Just give them some time. :)

Oh thank goodness, been so afraid that I’m doing something wrong and they don’t feel safe or happy or something. *phew*

Pullets coming into point of lay this late in the year may take longer to get started due to the shortening days, they may even wait until after solstice unless you employ supplemental lighting.

If theyre doin good on it Id think it would be fine to leave them.
@aart what do you think?
I dont feed layer pellets so Im not 100% sure on this..
Dunno, I've never fed layer, just 20% flock raiser crumble with oyster shell on the side.
From what I've read, feeding layer 'early' won't do irreparable damage(excess calcium) short term, but might slow their growth due to lower protein.

Dunno, I've never fed layer, just 20% flock raiser crumble with oyster shell on the side.
From what I've read, feeding layer 'early' won't do irreparable damage(excess calcium) short term, but might slow their growth due to lower protein.
I was wondering if that might be the case.. the slower growth..
So do think the op should go back to the grower crumbles??

Beaker laid her first egg!! I just had to be more patient I guess thank so much for all the advice...now if I can just get her to lay in the nesting box and not in the run

Attachments

• 8A5473B2-41DA-4255-82DD-1BFDB5131F14.jpeg
    8A5473B2-41DA-4255-82DD-1BFDB5131F14.jpeg
    651.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 8D90A8D5-0911-421B-B7E0-E8839C16F13C.jpeg
    8D90A8D5-0911-421B-B7E0-E8839C16F13C.jpeg
    591.9 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom