Chickens havent laid eggs, help?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sjarvis00, May 4, 2009.

1. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    This is the first time I have owned chickens. I have 12 hens that are already laying. But since I brought them home I havent gotten 1 egg. I have had them for a week. Is there something I am doing wrong or are they still adjusting to a new home?

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

It may take a bit longer- I bet that once an individual starts they'll all get up to speed.

May I ask what you are feeding them?

and

What is your nest box setup? Sometimes hens grow used to a setup and take a while to adjust to a new height, especially for nests and roosts.[​IMG]

3. sjarvis00

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Thank you. Do you think it would help to get one or two fake eggs?

I am feeding them a mix of hen scratch and layer. Just the feed store brand.

I only have 5 nesting boxes all about a foot off the ground.

And how many nesting boxes do I need? Is there a ratio of 2 hens to a box or should i have 1 per hen? I ask because I have about 10 pullets that I am waiting to get bigger.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  4. ashley12

ashley12 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2009
    Kentucky
    I am having the same problem sjarvis00. I got my chickens about a week ago, and they are not laying. The guy I bought them off of had them in a small cage, just enough room to turn around. Although my coop and run are kinda small, it is like a mansion to them. The first night they slept on the floor, the second night on the lower roost. Now they roost on the highest one. My nesting boxes are also a foot off the ground. At first they didn't have anything to do with them, but now I can tell they at least get in them. I put a golf ball in one and they just push it out. Everyone I talk to just tells me to give them time, but I'm not a patient person.

5. sjarvis00

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    I am not patient either. I got my first egg about an hour ago! It was under the nesting boxes. I just boiled some eggs and marked them. waiting for them to cool then Im going to stick them in the nests and see if that helps. I will let you know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by