Chickens haven't laid since July

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mandypoo, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Mandypoo

Mandypoo New Egg

Nov 23, 2016
    Our five young chickens (1.5 years old)and one older chicken haven't laid since July.
    Now I am noticing that one of them is molting like crazy and it's end of November.
    We have never had this happen before. We've let them be free range and it hasn't helped them.
    There has two runs, one goes under our deck, one goes out in the open.
    Any ideas of what this could be? We've owned chickens for about 5 years and have never had this happen.
    Thank you.

2. Wyatt0224

Wyatt0224 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    A change of feed could be the cause in it. If they're not happy that could also stop them from laying.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Might they have been laying out in range area?
    I have a few (1.5yo too) that started molting end of July....and one that just started.
    Some molt slowly, some molt faster.
    I think I have one that has come back into lay just this week, others who appear to be done molting but are still not laying. I don't expect them to start laying until after winter solstice, unless I decided to use lighting again this winter. There's just no telling with live animals.

Not sure why you've never seen this happen in 5 years.
    Could be a plethora of differences in breeds, feeds, predators...all kinds of reasons that make things different now.

4. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    I agree that they might be laying out of the coop. Especially if they're free ranging. I've found eggs in some of the dumbest places, even when they DON'T free range, lol.

Might have an egg eaters possibly... Too little light, hard molt... Stress?

Mine have dropped in production by about half; I'm only getting a dozen eggs a day, mostly my BRs and Red Stars and one tough EE; everybody else seems to slack off in winter.

What breeds are they, if I may inquire? :)

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

If you use layer feed, as a lot of people do.... I suggest changing to a flock raiser or grower/starter. Layer is too high in calcium (4%) for birds not in lay, including chicks. roosters and molting hens. Long term it can cause kidney issues. Layer also has the minimum amount of protein (16%). I use Purina Flock Raiser (that is what is available to me) which has 20% protein and 1% calcium and offer oyster shell free choice on the side. The higher protein will support feather growth since that's what they are made of and help those in molt recover faster.

If you give treats, that can further diminish protein which could have a great impact on egg production as well as health.

Were they free ranging in July? How big is the coop, run, flock, and range size? Are you actually getting zero eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by