chickens having bloody bald spots?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amyunderwood307, Nov 25, 2012.

1. amyunderwood307

amyunderwood307 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    I have six chickens and I live in Illinois, and in November it can have harsh weather. But as of a few weeks ago my wyandotte is losing feathers on her back, right by her tail feathers. I first assumed it was our aggressive australorp rooster mating her and scratching her, but then today o saw that the rooster has a large bloody, featherless spot on his neck...I'm worried about them losing feathers with this cold weather.

Any explanations?
    Solutions?
    Suggestions?

Anything would help! Thank you!

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

The hen could be loosing feather's because of the rooster and/or she may be nearing a molt. But if your rooster has feather loss as well as a wound you need to look further. You may have a pecking issue starting up in the flock so spend some time watching them closely and see if there is an instigator. No matter what you need to pull the roo out, clean up the wound and let it heal before he goes back in with them. The other's will notice a bloody wound and keep pecking at it.

Are they free range at all? Is there any possibility the rooster's wound was caused by a predator attack of some kind?

If it comes down to being a pecking issue in the flock it can be very hard to stop. If just one bird is the problem you may stop it by removing that bird. But if they've all gotten into the habit sometimes there is no way to stop it. Keeping them in as large an area as possible with plenty to keep them occupied can help.

3. amyunderwood307

amyunderwood307 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    No other not free ranged but they have a large fenced in space to run around in. And they have never have had pecking problems before. The roost is EXTREMELY aggressive..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by