Chickens head on the ground

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by teenchik, Nov 10, 2010.

1. teenchik

teenchik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    My new friend Younchick posted this yesterday under the heading emergency... And no one replied [​IMG] I really think this question deserves a little bit of guidance..

What is wrong with Millie?
    My Buff Orpington Bantum Millie is acting kind of strange today.
    She keeps dropping her head to the ground as though it is too heavy for her.
    She is eating and drinking, her vent is clear and her poo is solid.
    What is wrong with her.
    It was cold at the weekend but they have plenty of shelter and places to run too as they free roam in the garden and are locked up in their Penthouse at night.

Anyone have any idea's?

Christal​

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello!

When she drops her head, is she looking backwards between her legs? Sometimes this is caused by a vitamin deficiency, so you could just give her some poultry vitamins and she might be fine in a few days......

3. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    In the sticky at the top of the emergencies forum there is a link to a post about botulism. There are pictures included. Take a look at that thread and let us know if it looks like that.

Good luck!

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I had an eggbound hen who did that. She'd stand up, try and move forward and tip head first into the ground. If this is the case, you have to treat it as an emergency situation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by