Chickens Hording Eggs From Me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TallChickMagnet, Jan 30, 2013.

1. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    This morning I woke up to the normal sound of my chickens doing their egg song. Normally, before going out to collect them I fix them a treat when I think that they are done laying and bring it out to them. Let me say that sometimes I keep their pen and run open so that they can free range from time to time, no predator problems. Well, when I got out to their lay boxes they were empty!?!

After scratching my head for a minute I noticed another egg song coming from the field, under my untrimmed pepper tree. I went to investigate. I found not only a chicken laying an egg, but also another dozen eggs. They're hording!?! The worst part is that I can't get to them because of the very low branches, and my physical limitation.

Why the sudden change in lay location? It is not their first time free ranging, they've never laid outside of their lay boxes before.

I felt that they were trying to hide them from me, especially since the whole flock followed me over to the tree when I went looking. They normally don't follow me around when I don't have treats in my hands, at least most of them don't.

I hope that they don't keep this behavior up, but for today I got no eggs.

2. Spifflove

Spifflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2012
    Lock em up until they mend their ways. You can still let them free range a few hours in the evening.

1 person likes this.
  3. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    My chickens are suddenly laying in odd spots as well. It is strange. Just all of a sudden they are all looking for new places to put their eggs. Sometimes just strange places in the coop, but also under the stairs and things like that.

4. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    Don't gather so often or add fake eggs that are always in the nest box. If they don't feel predators are taking their eggs they won't move.

1 person likes this.
  5. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA

That sounds like good advice, thanks....:D :D :D

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  6. coffeenutdesign

coffeenutdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Texas
    I would just keep them in the coop for a few days until they get back in the habit of laying where they are supposed to!

1 person likes this.
  7. Crafty chick

Crafty chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2012
    Pierceton, Indiana
    Tallchickmagnet.... you could use a rake or broom to knock them out from under the tree. That way you wouldn't have to stoop down too far. Just a thought so nothing starts coming around for eggs.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by