Chickens hot at night

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
The flock was roosting last night. Most of them had wings opened and beaks opened. The coop was hot. How can I help them? They have plenty ventilation and we have windows that can open but my problem is I’m scared an animal can push open the screen. The screen isn’t a hardy material, it’s very easy to break in. Any ideas on how I can fix it. I used to keep a fan in the coop but I was always scared of a fire happening from all the dust catching into the fan. I stopped with the fan so I could sleep better at night. Any safe ideas?

Staple hardware cloth on the windows openings. That keeps predators out. I keep fans in my coops for 5 months a year and have not had any problems. I do keep them clean though by dusting them often. You can always put a timer so the fan just turns on at night. I keep the fans on all day because the coops get very hot during the day while they are laying.

Staple hardware cloth on the windows openings. That keeps predators out. I keep fans in my coops for 5 months a year and have not had any problems. I do keep them clean though by dusting them often. You can always put a timer so the fan just turns on at night. I keep the fans on all day because the coops get very hot during the day while they are laying.
With this fan we have to run an extension cord through the yard to the coop and than have to keep the door shut with the cord in the way. It’s a lot. I’m trying to find something better though

Livestock fans are built for the dust.

You could have an active or passive roof vent too. Passive is like a ridge vent-air just moves up bc it’s hot and leaves through the vent. Active is when one moves so the air is pulled out. Search for turbine roof vent. Some are passive: they move when hot air is rising up and out, helping to pull more air. But some are powered to run consistently.

Is the coop shaded?

Shade cloth may help in some ways. We have a coop that is elevated with a wood roof/covered with shingles, single slant, so air moves up and out. Our coop is within the run. The run is chain link. The south side of the run is ridiculously hot in summer. First year we put up shade cloth-what a difference!!! Huge help. But, we couldn’t see in the run very well. So, last 2 years we planted gourds at base of the south and SE sides of the run. Birdhouse gourds (readily available in packets at many stores) produced the biggest leaves, the most foliage, and it was attractive. Also, it kept that side if the run very cool and shaded. This year we are going to try some climbing flowers and flowering/decorative climbing beans- not sure yet how well that will work. Remember to keep those beaks away from any plants you plant next to the run.

Back
Top Bottom