Chickens Housed in greenhouses

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Davaroo, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Is anyone doing this?

2. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I have done this but only thru the Summer with meat birds. It was necessary to completely ventilate, of course, and to put up a tarp along the south side for shade. Winter use would be impossible because potted perennials are moved in there as protection against severe frost. Spring use is for starting plants!

To be accurate, my greenhouse could better be described as a "sunshed." It has a conventionally framed and insulated north wall and roof. The sloping south wall and parts of the east and west are open to sunlight.

Therefore, while there was considerable light, there wasn't a great deal of heat with the tarp. It was a suitable home for 35 birds for a couple of months.

Steve

3. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    My greenhouse would be much too hot for them. However, I live where the temps soar into 3 digits most of the summer.

Ellie

4. OHMYCHICKIES

OHMYCHICKIES Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    I have my 4 week olds in there during the day but we're not hot here yet, we're still waiting for spring. [​IMG] I do have a shade over part of the greenhouse and I have a thermometer in there to make sure they don't get too hot. So far it's working but they will be moved to there coop once it's built.

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    In my plan for chickens, the house, coop or whatever is NOT the place be in the day. It's for roosting and laying and in the winter for sheletering in the worst weather.
    The rest of the time, "Get the heck out, you ruddy birds," - thats my motto.

I've seen it chatted up on TMEN, permaculture.com and other places... I was just just wondering, that's all.

6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    The permaculture folks are probably using chickens on the floor of their greenhouses for Winter heat. Compost can also add heat.

I'm not too interested in this approach especially if I would be growing Winter salads in there. But, I can understand the concept - had a neighbor many years back who had hundreds of layers. He had to ventilate heat out of his building right down to below zero weather. If there was a way to utilize that without all the dust, bugs, etc. for growing Winter vegetable crops . . . .

Steve

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I can keep the chickens off the veggies and on the floor, or in a separate section of the greehouse all their own. That's a typical scheme - put them at one end, separate from the growing area.
    As for a little dust or bugs, well, thats why they make washing.

8. edster951

edster951 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are in the greenhouse, but it's not a green house anymore

Converted into a coup, lined with 7mm ply instead of glass.

They were shut up in this to get them used to it.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by