Chickens huddling in coup!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Pug Momma, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Pug Momma

Pug Momma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Auburn, WA
    I moved my ladies from a small (4x2) brooder into their giant coup (at least 5x9 x 8 feet tall) and they are so bumfuzzled by this that they just huddle in the corner.
    Will they get used to the new coup? (It's so big b/c I am counting on getting more than three chickens in the future!)They are about 7 weeks old now, I suppose (or close to that).
    By the way - when I put them in their new expanded run, they freaked out and looked so happy that I felt bad about waiting so long!
    Thoughts?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Are they warm enough? Is it dark? or do they have natural light?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  3. Pug Momma

Pug Momma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Auburn, WA
    yeah - they have a heat lamp at night and sleep on a small roost under the lamp. It's during the day! And it's not strictly huddling - it's more like - sitting all together in a corner with that deer in headlights look about them (I know I am anthropomorphizing it, but that's really what it looks like....).
    Lot's of natural light during the day - a large south facing window and several pop out windows that are open - it's actually surprisingly bright in there.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  4. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    Oh, yes, they will get used to it! My chicks did the same thing when I moved them to their new "digs" about 2 weeks ago. Now they are running, and digging, and semi-flying all over the place. So, so, so CUTE!

I went out a little while ago to give them fresh water, and they do tend to sleep huddled together. I turned the red heat lamp off for a few nights because we had a heat wave (in the 90s!), but they are huddled together even in this heat.

I have come to the conclusion that my little flock loves their home, and it makes me feel content to sit and watch them do their chicken stuff![​IMG]

Enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by