Chickens hurt while being shipped

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by neohsks, Mar 29, 2012.

1. neohsks

neohsks New Egg

Mar 29, 2012
    We just got our chickens yesterday after two long days of waiting and waiting for the mail man to show up with a box. jejeje
    Anyway they arrived early in the morning and I spotted the chick that was very dizzy and sleepy. I thought that he was just a lazy little chick but I am concerned now because he's just laying down all the time, barely gets up to eat or drink water like the rest, eventually rests a wing on something, and has his eyes closed at all times. Even when I pick him up, his eyes are closed, then I turn him around and he opes his eyes but then closes them and lays back down when I put him down. It's not a big concern but I would like to know why he's so not very optimist. His vent is very clean, sign that he has pooped some. I am thinking that maybe he got injured internally or something while they were being shipped. I don't know and is killing me because he is just there laying down, the other nine stepping on him and he doesn't do anything. Maybe he's just a weak chicken that will get better soon?
    Maybe he got injured on his way here? Maybe there is a one day old chick disease I am not aware of? Can anybody help me? I just want him to get better or just die, I hate watching him just getting bullied. Is there a booster he can get this young? help please.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  2. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    You could separate a small area in the brooder to keep it safe and watch it closer. Can you post pics or video of the behavior? Poor little baby. :(

3. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Electrolytes in the water are helpful when chickens are stressed.

Unfortunately, birds often just die without an apparent cause.

4. neohsks

neohsks New Egg

Mar 29, 2012
    Dizzy was his name. I did everything I could to keep him alive. dipped his beak into electrolyte water, tried to feed him, kept him warmer with body heat. But he just died at around 1:18 in between check ups. Farewell sweet dizzy.

5. PsychedChicken

PsychedChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    I had some chicks like this in an order a while back. Put some gatorade in their water, it will help him regain his strength if hes just exhausted or malnourished. With one of mine I had to sit with him for ages and keep dipping his beak in the gatorade water to keep him drinking it. But he perked up after a few days... However, I had one that didnt make it but he couldnt even stand...

Gatorade in the water is a good idea for all chicks that have been shipped. It really gives them a jumpstart on life.

6. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    Don't need to use Gatorade, a simple water sugar mix does the same thing, lots cheaper

7. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Sugar is cheaper, however electrolytes are needed when the body is stressed, dehydrated, etc. Sugar provides only energy. It does not provide the other things needed for cells in the body to work properly (sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc).

Sorry you lost the little thing neohsks - we lost one last night as well - and my husband is a veterinarian. There are times that you just can't save them all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by