Chickens in a rain storm

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by doublebow, Sep 11, 2009.

1. doublebow

doublebow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    Tonight it started raining and thundering right before time to lock the girls up in their coop and some of them got freaked out and flew up in a tree. I tried and tried to get them down but they just kept getting higher. As the storm was starting to get more intense I finally had to give up. Now I am so worried. The wind is blowing etc. They have never had to be out in a storm. Any suggestions?

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    I know it's morning now.........are they all ok?

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] They're birds, they'll work it out, they won't like it, and you'll worry, but... they're birds.

If it looks like a bad storm, I go out and try to lure them to the coop with treats, sometimes it works, but if not these are the things I tell myself everytime it storms and mine haven't gotten in the coop. Then, I go out, and they're fine and the rain has passed.

4. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Our coop is raised about 18 in and they will run under it during a daytime storm, but won't go in. I've tried and they just won't. It's like inside the coop is only for sleeping and you just dont go in until dusk. So I've given up trying to get them into the coop during bad weather and figure they know what they can deal with better than me.

5. doublebow

Aug 13, 2009
    Thanks for all the responses. They did make it through the night OK, of course! So I worried for nothing. They were soaked, though, and I hope that doesn't make them sick. Silly birds...

6. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL, they'll ruffle and fluffle and bristle around, lay in the sun and complain. Probably good for them somehow... as long as it warms up enough for them to dry thoroughly today.

Mine are incredibly healthy, *knock wood* and they free range all day, rain or shine. [​IMG] Birds!

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    We like to see how chickens will stand up taller in a rain storm, make themselves more vertical, to present less surface area to the rain. The kids laugh & say they look like penguins.

8. doublebow

Aug 13, 2009
    We noticed that yesterday. (the penguin thing) It's so cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by