1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens in Beaufort, SC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TBrittle, Jul 27, 2015.

1. TBrittle

TBrittle Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2014
    Hi All!

We are considering moving to the Beaufort, SC area in a couple of years after our daughter graduates from college. We currently have a backyard flock in Northern Virginia and can't imagine giving them up. I have looked all over the internet trying to find out what the ordinances are with no luck.Does anyone here know what the laws are? Thanx in advance!

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Contact the chamber of commerce-leave a message on their website.

Good luck!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    In a couple of years the ordinance (for good or bad) may be changed. Some things can be too unstable to be certain of in the future. Always good to have a plan B.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  4. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock!

I would advise going onto the section on BYC 'Where am I, Where are you?' and look for your state. There, you might get some answers to your question. Good luck!

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC!

If you haven't seen it already, there is an article in the Learning Center regarding laws and ordinances that might give you some direction:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-laws-and-ordinances-and-how-to-change-them

@drumstick diva makes a good point, however, these things can change over the next couple of years so before you make your move is the time to find out the latest.

Good luck to you!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. matt4068

matt4068 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2016
    Lowcountry SC
    I don't know any of the regulations for Beaufort city or port Royal. But know plenty of people who have small flocks of hens. No roosters. Burton and other surrounding areas are more farmland and more favorable. Still learning also.

8. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

Good luck in your endeavors. It sounds promising.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by